VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok so this is not a typical TV episode backup project. I have The original DVDs of a TV series and want to convert the episodes to AVI. I normally encode XviD for regular archival backups but not sure which compression would work best for what I am doing here.

I would require each resulting AVI episode to be the highest quality possible. I understand this is limited to the original quality on the DVD.

The reason I am posting a new thread, I just tried this using Fair Use. I tested it with one episode (XviD encoded) target size set to 1000mb which according to the settings resulted in an AVI of about 30% compression. I messed around with higher target sizes up to 10,000mb for one episode but it was still showing it as compressed... I'm not sure how this could be since the entire DVD has 7 episodes on it, and surely each episode is WAY under 10,000mb but then I'm sure there is much I do not yet understand

Oh also the resulting .avi file from my Fair Use experiment ended up being 735mb and appeared noticeably worse visually than the original in that the picture was full of what I think are horizontal scan lines.

So I am posting to request suggestions on how to get each episode in an AVI format of the highest quality possible. I am not concerned with the size, but 10,000mb did seem a bit ridiculous for one episode. I then plan to isolate clips of the show using SolveigMM AVI Trimmer. I would like these clips to be as close to the original quality as possible. The full episode AVIs will then be deleted as I will only be needing the clips for this project.

Thanks for any ideas...
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind...
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm not quite clear on the goal of your project - or perhaps the way you intend to go about it. So I got two points:

- Why .AVI ?

- If you intend to cut out some clips why don't you start by cutting out those clips from the .VOB files on your DVD in "copy" mode ? If you could use the .VOB-clip in your project you would have the DVD quality and if it has to be avi there would be less to convert.

Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    True, I am probably going the long route. Its just that I'm familiar with the uncomplicated nature of SolveigMM AVI Trimmer and its so easy to get the results I want. So on this alternate route, can you recommend a comparable program that will allow me to trim the vobs in the same way without quality loss? Will audio be included? Either way I go, I'd like to end up with my final trimmed clips in the highest possible quality without unnecessarily over-sized file sizes. For example I could leave them in vob but then if another format yields no noticeable quality loss in a much smaller file size, then why not? Recommended formats? Hope this is making some kind of sense.
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind...
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you just want to gather some clips it may be simpler to use MakeMKV to rip the DVD to .mkv titles. Then use AviDemux to create the clips. If there are no subtitles involved then it should be quick and easy. No encoding. The video will be the original mpg2 DVD video. Just stuck in an .mkv container.

Many converters don't do well with episodic DVDs. Then expect a "main movie" whereas MakeMKV extracts each title as an .mkv file.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by perceptionist View Post
    I messed around with higher target sizes up to 10,000mb for one episode but it was still showing it as compressed... I'm not sure how this could be since the entire DVD has 7 episodes on it, and surely each episode is WAY under 10,000mb but then I'm sure there is much I do not yet understand
    No matter how high you set the bitrate or filesize (which won't be achieved anyway), if XviD is the codec used it's going to be compressed. As mentioned, the best quality will be achieved cutting the source VOBs and not wrecking it with an intermediate XviD AVI. You can use the freeware MPEG2Cut2 for the cutting.
    the picture was full of what I think are horizontal scan lines.
    If the source was film you IVTC, if video you deinterlace (both of which require a full reencode). If the final output format is another DVD, you may not need to do either.
    Quote Quote  
  6. @perceptionist

I think you got a good advice from MilesAhead and if that works for you then .. that's it !

So just one note not to confuse the issue too much:

Should you want to compress the video you could change the setting for Video/Audio/Format in AviDemux to MPEG-4 AVC/AAC/MP4 and do some trial-and-error in Video Configuration on quality settings in order to find the balance between quality and compression that works for YOU !

Quote Quote  
  7. Hi Miles,

I have stayed away from MakeMKV because VH page says you have to shell out $70 ... also it syas is a Freeware ... so, I am confused!

Anyway, since I haven't used it, I have a Q ... when is ripping it from DVD to .mkv ... is it Transcoding them with No Compression ... kind of doing what Shrink does!?!?

Thanks!

G!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As far as I know, you have to pay if you want to use MakeMKV's Blu-Ray features. For working with DVDs, it's free. Though, for the time being, it's completely free while it's in beta (you have to keep installing betas when they're released, however, as they'll time-out if you don't, and won't work past a certain time period.)

It'd be nice if they clarified all of that on their homepage.

Edit: MakeMKV merely repackages the DVD/BD material into an MKV. No recompression is done, I believe, just remuxing.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hi Ai Haibara,

Thanks for the reply. Is the tool that good!?!? Is it even worth playing around with it and have it installed!

G!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To be honest, I haven't gotten around to experimenting with it, yet. Haven't really done much ripping in the last few months.

But if you want to repackage your DVDs as MKVs, with no change in compression - and don't mind keeping the program up-to-date, every so often - it might well be worth it.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I bought MakeMKV in February 2010. Up to now it's been "free while in beta." But I think the newest version has a 30 day trial period. The DVD rip is supposed to be free forever. I have a WD set top box. The WD handles DVD iso images fine if they have a "main movie." But episodic DVDs aren't handled well. For that reason I rip episodic DVDs using MakeMKV.

I don't have the WD "live" but I believe MakeMKV also has a file server facility to serve up files over the home network for enabled set top boxes. Since I don't have a set top box with that capability I don't know the standard or what the streaming code is called.

I think the price varies depending on where you buy it. I'm in the US and I paid $50 USD. I gather it's more expensive if you use Euros as currency. I don't understand how all that works. All I know is I'm satisfied with my purchase. With a registered version, say if the new release has a troublesome bug, you can back off to an older release. Not so with an unregistered version. I've backed off a couple of times until newer releases fixed a regression.

The BluRay disc handling has 2 modes. You can back up the entire disc structure, or you can save as .mkv titles. The DVD mechanism does not have the disc structure backup option that BluRay does. Guess that's why it's a freebie. But all the DVDs I've ripped as .mkv titles have played fine. Embedded VobSubs work fine in my WD player if they are from a DVD .mkv title rip or DVD .iso image. But that's more about the WD player than MakeMKV.
    Last edited by MilesAhead; 15th Feb 2012 at 19:01.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
    If you just want to gather some clips it may be simpler to use MakeMKV to rip the DVD to .mkv titles. Then use AviDemux to create the clips. If there are no subtitles involved then it should be quick and easy. No encoding. The video will be the original mpg2 DVD video. Just stuck in an .mkv container.

Many converters don't do well with episodic DVDs. Then expect a "main movie" whereas MakeMKV extracts each title as an .mkv file.
    MakeMKV worked nicely though the resulting video still has the horizintal lines.... then I decided to check and the original DVD seems to have them as well, so I guess I can't complain there. I am able to play these MKVs in VLC fine but as for loading an MKV episode in AviDemux, I get only black screen when playing back though audio sounds fine.
    Quote Quote  
  13. AviDemux may not like it if there's mpeg2 rather than avc video. In that case I might try to load into tsMuxerGui. That should allow you to cut clips. Not visually like AviDemux. You need to know the times. I'm not aware of another free tool that lets you easily create clips. Someone else may know.

Also TEncoder new relase is supposed to have times for encoding only certain sections. But I haven't tried that feature yet. I mostly use it to convert .mkv to .mp4 only encoding the audio.

There may be a way to do it with AviDemux. I'm not an advance user. If it can be done it's probably documented here:
    http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like the program I am used to using for trimming AVIs, (SolveigMM AVI Trimmer) has a new version that supports MKV. But it's giving me issues. I contacted their tech support for assistance on this. In case anyone is familiar with this program... Here's the problem:

1. I open the program, select the MKV file I want to edit, then...

Name:  Trimmer Error-1.PNG
Views: 3232
Size:  5.1 KB

pops up. I click ok on the error and then the MKV file plays fine and I am able to define the clip parameters.

2. When I have defined the clip I want to save and click "save" ...

Name:  Trimmer Error-2.PNG
Views: 3151
Size:  4.8 KB

pops up. Clicking ok on the error does not help.

This is my version info:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trimmer Version.PNG
Views:	2640
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	10982
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by perceptionist View Post
    I contacted their tech support for assistance on this.
    Did you tell them there's MPEG-2 video in there? Makes a difference, you know, and MilesAhead already voiced his concerns in the post just before yours.

I already told you how to cut VOBs and have no idea why you're taking extra and unnecessary steps.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    manono, please forgive my lack of understanding on some of these processes. I did see what MilesAhead mentioned and he then suggested tsMuxerGui but also stated it is not a visual editor which is what I would prefer. My thought process was to find a process I was more familiar with which is why I then searched for an MKV trimmer and was surprised to see that my old familiar AVI trimmer (SolveigMM AVI Trimmer) is now available with MKV support! So I tried it and got the errors I stated above.

When all is said and done I am hoping to end up with my clips in a format that is basically stand alone and universally playable (i.e with WMP, VLC or WDMP).... I was not aware this was possible with a stand alone VOB file, I thought VOBs had to be integrated in a playable DVD. Again I admit ignorance, but by my limited way of thinking, this means something like an AVI file or possibly just an mpeg 2 file? I am not a complete dummy, but sometimes I need a helping hand which is why I eventually turn to forums like this where there are people with much greater knowledge than myself of these kinds of things.

If I am not sounding clear on what I am trying to do I will do my best to explain if asked.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by gonwk View Post
    Hi Miles,

I have stayed away from MakeMKV because VH page says you have to shell out $70 ... also it syas is a Freeware ... so, I am confused!

Anyway, since I haven't used it, I have a Q ... when is ripping it from DVD to .mkv ... is it Transcoding them with No Compression ... kind of doing what Shrink does!?!?

Thanks!

G!
    Sorry I didn't see your post before. MakeMKV will produce an .mkv file for each title in a DVD. According to the author, that function will always be free. The BluRay functions were free sort of 1 beta at a time before. The author provided a key that would work on each beta release. Since he mentions 30 day trial I have to assume he's getting away from the beta and more towards changing for the program. If you don't care about ripping BluRay discs then I would definitely try the MakeMKV.

I haven't been doing so much with BluRay lately. So I can't really say if this is the best app for ripping. It works well for my purposes. I like to rip DVD to files I can play on my set top box since it will upscale even 4:3 stuff to 1080i to my TV where the DVD player won't(only have one HDMI connection.)
    Quote Quote  
  18. I don't know if it helps any but there's program Vob2Mpg that can glob a Vob title set into a single .mpg file. It may make it a bit easier for slicing and dicing in AviDemux. There's both a free and paid version. The author also did SVCD2DVD which I bought back in the day when a lot of films out of Hong Kong came on SVCD.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by perceptionist View Post
    When all is said and done I am hoping to end up with my clips in a format that is basically stand alone and universally playable (i.e with WMP, VLC or WDMP)....
    MPEG2Cut2 saves the cut VOB as MPG, playable in WMP, VLC, MPC-HC or about any other player. I don't know what WDMP is.
    I was not aware this was possible with a stand alone VOB file...
    It is, and a quick test would have told you. Had you cut it into VOB segments it would still have been playable by the players (but not by WMP 10, which is what I have on my computer, but I don't consider that piece of junk to be a real player). But, as I said, MPG2Cut2 saves as MPG.

I'm not absolutely positive this is the answer to your needs as you said in the first post:

The full episode AVIs will then be deleted as I will only be needing the clips for this project.
    and we don't know enough about the project yet.
    Last edited by manono; 17th Feb 2012 at 03:03.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok let me start by reminding you from my first post, "I have The original DVDs of a TV series"

According to the "Read Me" for MPEG2Cut2:

There is NO decryption capability,
    it will only work on non-encrypted files.
    So if you are trying to use it on a commercial DVD,
    and just get rubbish out, don't be surprised.

Now some programs that do not mention decryption ability seem to display the video fine, however MPEG2Cut2 displayed the VOB as.... well, garbled rubbish with the occasional clear frame here and there.

BTW, WDMP is Western Digital Media Player.

So to start from scratch in hopes to simplify my goals here...

> I have the original DVDs of a TV series.

> I would like to isolate clips from some of the episodes and save them as separate playable files.

> I would like to retain the original quality of the DVD in my resulting isolated clips.

> And in a perfect world I would hope to achieve this with a user friendly GUI which allows for visual trimming.

I am not dead set on a single step process, but if it is possible then bonus. I am not on a deadline so I'm not worried about a 2 or 3 step process, whatever achieves the desired result.

This is as straight and to the point as I think I can possibly be.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by perceptionist View Post
    Ok let me start by reminding you from my first post, "I have The original DVDs of a TV series"
    Remind me? It's understood that the DVD files have to be decrypted to the hard drive first. OK, do it your own way. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To those who were genuinely trying to assist me, thank you I really do appreciate your kindness.

Manono, although you attempted to assist, you seemed to be more focused on pointing out how stupid you felt I was. You came across as irritable and short with no patience for anything. What have I done to you to deserve this? I tried to explain that I am not a guru and am grateful for the assistance people are kind enough to offer here. Manono, I sincerely apologize to you that my skill level is no match for yours and that I wasted your valuable time.

I will continue to research this on my own, sooner or later I know I will find a way as I usually do but if anyone out there is reading this and feels they can relate to my situation, advice is always appreciated.

Thank you all for your time,
    Quote Quote  
  23. @perceptionist
    advice is always appreciated
    I'll give it a try.

so I'm not worried about a 2 or 3 step process
    First step is to decrypt your DVD. Try DVDFabDecrypter (free). Watch this Youtube Tutorial on it's use. Notice particular the parts about "Main Movie" as it'll allow you to save each epsiode of your TV-serie individually.

> I would like to isolate clips from some of the episodes and save them as separate playable files.

> I would like to retain the original quality of the DVD in my resulting isolated clips.

> And in a perfect world I would hope to achieve this with a user friendly GUI which allows for visual trimming
    Second step: To retain your original quality you'll have to cut your clips in copy mode, ie no re-encoding. It seems like you havn't had much succes with the suggestions so far so here is some with GUI much like SolveigMM Avi Trimmer that can handle the .VOB files created in the first step:

MPEG Streamclip - freeware

Boilsoft Video Splitter - Commercial, but with a trial version (some limitations). Besides doing Copy clip it can re-encode in case you want to compress your files

Ultra Video Splitter - Commercial and also trial version with limitations is available as well as re-encode option

SolveigMM Video Splitter Actually I just tried that once but since you seems to favour it's predecessor did you notice this thread https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/343333-Testing-H264-AVC-frame-accurate-editing-(AVC...)-of-SolveigMM

Good luck with your project
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    videobruger thanks for your help. I tried DVDFabDecrypter and that worked great. There was an issue with MPEG Streamclip, it instructed me to uninstall quicktime and install quicktime alternate which I did. This got me a bit further but then there was an error which caused it to crash. But in the process of researching this I discovered another program which worked. For those interested, it was VideoReDo TVSuite. I was able to open my VOBs and easily snip them out then save them as MPEGs.

Thank you so much for your time and advice!
    Last edited by perceptionist; 18th Feb 2012 at 03:15.
    Quote Quote