VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello! I've seen H265 comparison at Youtube. Some compared an H265 to H264 video and it shows the difference. Does that mean Youtube supports H265 already? Because if not, his H265 video should be converted to H264 by Youtube and I won't be seeing any difference. Is my logic correct? Thanks for those who will answer!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by raphaelolaguer View Post
    Hello! I've seen H265 comparison at Youtube. Some compared an H265 to H264 video and it shows the difference.
    Link?

Originally Posted by raphaelolaguer View Post
    Does that mean Youtube supports H265 already?
    I don't think so. But you can download the video and check.

Originally Posted by raphaelolaguer View Post
    Because if not, his H265 video should be converted to H264 by Youtube and I won't be seeing any difference. Is my logic correct?
    No. What they do is overcompress a video to the point that h.264 looks bad but h.265 still looks pretty good. Then they re-encode the videos side by side at a higher bitrate so the new video isn't further damaged (not so much, anyway).

Since you mentioned it I took a look at one comparison video I found there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXY8Szhz42M

It's not h.265 encoded and they severely crippled the h.264 video by applying a blend deinterlace!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Link?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctjm1kxw-BM

H265 claims higher quality video at lower bitrate. As far as I understand, an h265 10 mbps bitrate video would look the same as h264 20 mbps bitrate video. The standard bitrate for 2160p h264 on youtube is 35 MBPS. If I upload an H265 and half that 35 MBPS at around 17 or 18 MBPS, does youtube change the codec to h264, making an h264 18 mbps video?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by raphaelolaguer View Post
    If I upload an H265 and half that 35 MBPS at around 17 or 18 MBPS, does youtube change the codec to h264, making an h264 18 mbps video?
    YouTube reencodes everything. As far as I know they won't even accept an uploaded H265 video.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh I see. Thanks for the answers!
    Quote Quote  
  6. I was watching a documentary on YouTube which had some American bloke from YT talking about H265 on YouTube.
    I'm almost sure he said that it currently took them around 10 hours to encode 1 (yes, one) frame of full HD video.
    Quote Quote  
  7. No, its not that slow. But it takes a lot more time compared to x264 encoding.
    Quote Quote