VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I have a quick question that I'm hoping to get answered:

I have twenty-four episodes (each episode/.avi file is about 350MB, which lets me make two DVDs of ~12 episodes) of a TV show that I would like to make into two episodic DVDs (basically that has a menu with all the available episodes on the DVD (first DVD is episodes 1-12, second DVD is episodes 13-24), which you can skip around (as if each episode is a chapter)).

I have searched for keywords on the forums, but the only things I can find that are slightly relevant are things like trying to attach two .avis together, or something to that effect. The guide-search also yielded similar results.

The tools that I currently have available to me on my computer are VirtualDub, TMPGEnc Plus, TMPGEnc DVD Author, and Nero. Any other program that I may need is completely ok with me, so just shoot off names (if possible, try to stick to freeware, or programs that I can do said task with the trial version)!

I've already tried to figure this out, but usually when I'm burning a DVD, I'm burning a single image, or making the .m2v, etc files then converting them to the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS files then burning that... this is different in that I'm dealing with 12 .avis that come close to 4.7GB.

Anyways, I truly appreciate your help and look forward to your replies!

Search Comp PM
    The short answer is - it's can't be done.

At 350mb each, I would guess each episode has a running time of approx. 45 minutes. A single layer DVD can hold 2- 3 of these at full resolution, maybe 4 at half-D1. After than, quality will drop off rapidly. Forget the fact that they are only 350mb now, because they are not DVD compliant now. To make them DVD compliant they have to be resized and re-encoded. Expect the size to increase between 3 and 4 times in order to maintain the current quality level.

The only way to have 12 episodes to a disc is to leave them as avi files. You then need to have a Divx certified player to play them, and unless it is Divx Ultra certified, you cannot create your own menus.
    Read my blog here.

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh wow, that's not what I was expecting at all! Sorry to hear. So, basically, if I want to watch the show on my DVD player without switching out 24 different discs, I'm going to have to buy the box set retail?

Thanks anyways, I appreciate the help.

However, could you elaborate on this part please:

The only way to have 12 episodes to a disc is to leave them as avi files. You then need to have a Divx certified player to play them, and unless it is Divx Ultra certified, you cannot create your own menus.

4. So, basically, if I want to watch the show on my DVD player without switching out 24 different discs, I'm going to have to buy the box set retail?

No, that's not what he said. Because MPEG-4 compresses better than MPEG-2, you can't give the MPEG-2 encode (for DVD) the same bitrate as the original AVIs and expect anywhere near the same quality. It's usually said that you need 3-4 times the bitrate for MPEG-2 as for MPEG-4. So realistically, you're looking at roughly 1 GB per episode for the DVD episodes, or 4 per DVDR. This depends partly on the length of the episodes, information you haven't provided yet. If they are 25 minute episodes, maybe 6 per DVD, and if 45 minutes, maybe only 4 per DVD.

However, could you elaborate on this part please

What's to elaborate? If you have a DVD/MPEG-4 player (one that plays XviD/DivX), you don't do anything but burn them as-is and watch the AVIs. For menus though, you'll need one of the so-far rare Ultra players.

5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Each episode runs at ~47 minutes each.

And if the menu thing isn't an option, if I could set each episode as a "chapter", so going foward would put me forward one episode, then that's fine too.

I guess 6 DVDs of 4 episodes can suffice too.

Search Comp PM
    Most series boxsets have only four episodes to disc if they have 45 minute runtimes, and they use DL discs. That should give you some idea of the quality compromise you are looking at.

My LG Divx player will give you a simple file menu to choose which file to play, and the next and previous chapter buttons basically skip you forward or backwards one file.
    Read my blog here.

7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Isn't it a violation of the law to own or archive episodes? I could have swore it was punishable by up to 5 years in jail and/or a $250,000 fine.

8. No copyrighted materials have been mentioned. It could be something copyright-free.

Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cobra
    No copyrighted materials have been mentioned. It could be something copyright-free.
    How many copyright-free items are also available as a retail box set ?

Originally Posted by ROF
    Isn't it a violation of the law to own or archive episodes? I could have swore it was punishable by up to 5 years in jail and/or a $250,000 fine.
    ... and speaking of people who should mind their own business ...
    If in doubt, Google it.

Search Comp PM
    You can buy a dvd player that plays divx/xvid files for $50
    Get one of these and put all your avi files on a double layer disk.

I just bought an RCA DVD player from wal mart....it does this perfectly.

11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    Originally Posted by Cobra
    No copyrighted materials have been mentioned. It could be something copyright-free.
    How many copyright-free items are also available as a retail box set ?

Originally Posted by ROF
    ... and speaking of people who should mind their own business ...
    Here here!!!
    He's lucky another thread was locked before i saw his little comments at me 8)

12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Epical
    Oh wow, that's not what I was expecting at all! Sorry to hear. So, basically, if I want to watch the show on my DVD player without switching out 24 different discs, I'm going to have to buy the box set retail?
    Interesting. So you can mention that a box set is available for retail that you do not own and it isn't copyrighted? I would bet the author and distributor would disagree.

This deserves to be repeated:

I could have swore copyright violations are punishable by up to 5 years in jail and/or a $250,000 fine.

Search PM
    Originally Posted by ROF

I could have swore copyright violations are punishable by up to 5 years in jail and/or a $250,000 fine.
    Isn't it legal to DL stuff in Canada (where the OP is from) ?

That would make your whole point null and void I believe
    If in doubt, Google it.

14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROF

Incorrect. This is only for music files.

Search PM
    Originally Posted by ROF
    Originally Posted by ROF

Ah well ... that's great about the emphasis on copyright violation penalties then. Without a title, it's kinda hard to be certain of copyright infringement though.
    If in doubt, Google it.

16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROF

Ah well ... that's great about the emphasis on copyright violation penalties then. Without a title, it's kinda hard to be certain of copyright infringement though.
    I believe a very wise person once said , "How many copyright-free items are also available as a retail box set ? "

Search PM
    Originally Posted by ROF
    I believe a very wise person once said , "How many copyright-free items are also available as a retail box set ? "
    I do not purport to know the copyright status of every retail DVD. I am happy to be educated.
    If in doubt, Google it.

Search Comp PM
    s'funny - the justice system of most civilised countries used to work on the premise of innocent until proven guilty. The burden of proof is on the accuser at this point (ROF), and so far still remains there.

Who is to say these weren't recorded and encoded using a digital TV card ? I know many people who have full seasons they have recorded themselves.
    Read my blog here.

19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger

Who is to say these weren't recorded and encoded using a digital TV card ? I know many people who have full seasons they have recorded themselves.
    Correct and archiving television broadcasts is illegal.

Search PM
    Originally Posted by ROF

Time-shifting ?

What if it is Public Access TV ?

Oh well, let's just stand back and let the mods decide (again).

After all, we wouldn't want to get involved in things which do not involve ourselves
    If in doubt, Google it.

21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROF

Time-shifting ?

What if it is Public Access TV ?
    Public Access TV is also copyrighted for the most part. Most shows even attach their copyright notice to their programming. Time shifting doesn't apply. This is archiving.

Search PM
    I don't believe there is sufficient definitive proof that this is either illegal or against forum rules, and I will attempt to provide assistance to the OP (as opposed to getting involved in things which do not involve myself) until such time as that becomes apparent beyond my own or moderators' doubts.

Originally Posted by Epical
    I have twenty-four episodes (each episode/.avi file is about 350MB, which lets me make two DVDs of ~12 episodes) of a TV show that I would like to make into two episodic DVDs (basically that has a menu with all the available episodes on the DVD (first DVD is episodes 1-12, second DVD is episodes 13-24), which you can skip around (as if each episode is a chapter)).
    Unfortunately as mentioned by a few already, this is not exactly how things work. The size of the files (350MB) is insignificant without knowing the running time of each file.

Depending on a number of factors, such as your playback devices, acceptable quality thresholds and the quality of your source, you may find that Half-D1 (approx 2-4 hours per SL DVD and approx 5-6 hours per DL DVD) or VCD equivalent (approx 6-7 hours per SL DVD and approx 12-13 hours per DL DVD) may provide better solutions, all things considered.

http://members.dodo.net.au/~jimmalenko/AVI2DVD.htm may provide you with some information regarding both the procedures you need to undertake and the things you need to decide on. Possibly the quickest way to get you the answers you require is for you to provide details ragarding the AVI files. GSpot supplies us with all the info we need to know, such as running time, and also provides a numeric indication of the quality of the file. https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=271697 guides you through taking a screenshot and uploading it here.
    If in doubt, Google it.

23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't believe there is sufficient definitive proof that this is either illegal or against forum rules, and I will attempt to provide assistance to the OP (as opposed to getting involved in things which do not involve myself) until such time as that becomes apparent beyond my own or moderators' doubts.
    I disagree but I too will leave it up to the moderators to decide. I also will not post something to assist someone in possible warez. Doing so would be a violation of the rules of this forum.

Search Comp PM
    Seeing as the op has not broken any rules. I find trashing his thread & the witch hunt to be down right disgusting, the perpetrators should be banned.

@Epical

4 per disc is a good choice at 352x480/576, not worth squeezing more on unless you buy DL media.

25. IF you feel there is a problem use the report procedure and do not jack the thread - no matter how obvious a rule violation may seem to you. Also this is not a forum for non-video related opinions. Take it to off topic.

Also keep it civil please

ROF & jimmalenko
    you are both on notice. This is an informal warning.

Search PM
    Well dagnammit ...

mods today, eh ?

I hope my advice helps the OP.
    If in doubt, Google it.

27. thread locked - off topic / threadjacked