VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there,

When using my HDPR, the quality of the picture on my TV is worse - as though the sharpness of the picture has been decreased, making playing Battlefield 3 near impossible. The capturing quality is perfect though.

Is this a usual issue? and something I should expect from using one of these? I am a total noob when it comes to this kinda thing so if you need more details to answer il do my best to find them

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Describe how you have everything connected. I don't do any kind of game playing or game capturing but others here can probably tell you if something is less than optimal in your setup. Please be sure to describe what kind of connectors you are using for all your connections (ie. HDMI, component, etc.).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    Describe how you have everything connected.
    Yes please do so.

Assuming you are using component output you should be able to use the component passthrough output and it will be the same as the input. There shouldn't be any processing done on the output side.

I SUPPOSE you could have a frayed cable somewhere on the output side that might make it less than ideal. But otherwise the passthrough should be the same as the input.

Edit - also it occured to me the problem might be your tv. Do you have other component devices you could test with? Your component inputs on your tv might be failing.

Again this is assuming you are using the component passthrough on the hdpvr.

Also I believe most tvs should be able to have independent color and other settings adjustments on each input. Have you tried adjusting these levels on your component input on your tv? Again assuming you are using component cables.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for your replies,

Yes, i'm using component cables with the HDPVR capturing software telling me the video inut is YPbPr (don't know if that helps)
    I've also set the TV resolution available to 1080i and 720p. As for a t.v issue, i haven't got any other component devices unfortunately - i think the tv is about 3/4 years old.

Like i said, i really dont know much about these things. I'll try adjusting the tv colur and other settings and see if that helps and write the outcome, thought would write my current set-up incase something jumps out at you as being wrong in the mean time.

let me know if you need any other information

Again, thanks for your help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rick125
    i haven't got any other component devices unfortunately
    Actually you might and not know it. Some older dvd players would have component output for progressive output. This was before dvd players would routinely have hdmi out for upscaling. Dig around and check. These are the red green and blue output jacks if I remember my color schemes correctly.

Off hand it doesn't seem like anything is out of the ordinary. So long as you are using the output from the hauppauge hd pvr it should be the same as the input.

I don't know if anyone has reported the passthrough on the hd pvr failing. That would seem unlikely but I guess it could happen. Have you ever had it working just right before? I suppose it could be internal to the hdpvr.

Keep digging.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Every now and then you should shut down your computer and turn off your HD-PVR. Unplug it for a minute or two, and replug. Then boot up and turn the HD-PVR back on.

If you leave yours on all the time, expect odd behavior from it eventually. My first one would drop pass-through if I left it on too long, but it would also refuse to record when that happened. Then again, mine died eventually and had to be replaced (it was one of the earliest units).

I've seen a couple mentions of this by other members here: i.e. cycle the unit from time to time.

Apologies if this is too obvious, but hey...

[EDIT] Unplug and firmly reseat all connections while you're at it. I've also had RCA connectors come loose, and that will bugger the signal, obviously.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 9th Sep 2012 at 09:38.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  7. The HDPVR's component passthrough should cause no noticeable picture degradation.
    Quote Quote  
  8. ive used the same component cables now with a dvd player (good shout yoda313 btw) and the film ran fine as far as I could tell. I'll try all the other tips you guys have gave me and see if that helps - thanks for all the help on the matter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    (good shout yoda313 btw)
    No prob. Always good to have an alternative - especially something "old school" like that which we may forget about, what with hdmi taking over the world.

I'll try all the other tips you guys have gave me and see if that helps
    Yeah do what fritzi suggets. I don't use my hauppauge very often but I have had to turn it off and on on occasions. Plus a reboot would never hurt either if its been active for a long time.
    Quote Quote