VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.

I know that this question may have come up a few times, but I'd like to ask it a little differently, hopefully.

I am looking at either the Signvideo Image Enhancer or the Proc amp for digitzing old vhs and umatic tapes to DV. I am thinking in my mind the image enhancer would be the better of the two to get first because every software editing package has proc controls to adjust the blacks and chorma and everything... unless the signvideo proc does more than just a normal one. I know that the goal for restoration is to start off with the best analog footage before you digitize. However if the proc amp only adjusts black levels, saturation and hue, would this be a big issue to do in software after? or are there other features that this fixes as well? I really dont mind adjusting the chroma or hue a bit to get it to look properly, but adjusting sharpness and other characteristics of the image enhancer I could see more benefitial fixing before digitzing.

Please offer your comments.

Thanks
    Mark
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You'd be better off with the proc amp. (NOTE: In addition to this VH restoration sub-forum, I've answered similar questions at the digitalFAQ.com DVD Projects forum. I know I've either read or replied to something similar in the past 4-5 months there. It's probably a Workflow question, but maybe Capturing or Restoring. Just look around some.)

Going back further, what is your VCR and capture card? Those are even more important.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info Lordsmurf ill look those up.

In answer to your question, my vcrs are...

VHS/SVHS
    Panasonic AG-1970
    Panasonic AG-7750
    JVC SR-9000U

UMATIC SP - 3/4'
    BVU-850

DVCAM
    Sony DSR-30

Capture device
    Canopus AVDC-300

I have also been thinking to use the proc or the image enhancer and record the output to DVCAM then ingest the DV into the computer for further restoration if needed. My goal is either to archive on Sony premium DV tape and/or multiple hard drives. I have seen some comparison shots with people using either their minidv camcorder or dvd recorder to stabilize the video with reasonable results. And miniDV cam tape is much more reliable than DVD i assume.

I think I started this at exactly the right time. One of the tapes i was archiving last night got jammed in the 3/4" deck and had to be thrown out. As i was rewinding it. whew lol... Now the umatic deck goes in for a checkup.

Mark
    Quote Quote  
  4. In my opinion, assuming you have a good card and vcr capturing losslessly and fixing the video with a software will get you to the same result (vdub, or avs indeed).
    If you want to record with a dvd recorder for example then having a proc amp would be a good idea since mpeg2 is a lossy format (and even more lossy when you capture in real time )
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote