VideoHelp Forum

Poll: What would you choose?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am quite interested to know what would you choose...
    After you take the poll please explain why you like wide monitors or normal monitors.

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I chose standard monitor, because computers aren't for watching movies -- big-ass TV's are for watching movies.
    computers are for computer stuff and the only situation where I can see a 'widescreen' monitor benefitting me is Excel spreadsheets...
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I choose "wide"

It's as funny as hell watching friend's and relatives playing game's , thinking if they lean left or right , they can see round corner's and shoot the enemy or avoid crashing into the rail's when racing ... it's just the funniest thing ever , I crack myself up everytime just watching them ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would choose multiple normal monitors.

I like to spread the desktop over 2 monitors instead of one.

I'm glad this poll isn't for "LCD or CRT" monitors!

All of mine are CRTs!
    A man walked into his son's room and said..."Son, that will cause blindness."
    The boy said, "Dad, I'm over here."
    Quote Quote  
  5. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I voted "wide" because it's nice having that extra bit of horizontal screen space. But it's not a big deal either. I wouldn't pay much extra for wide.

Our 3 desktops have standard LCDs, and we have one laptop with standard and one with a wide screen. It is nice using that newer laptop. I suppose if the prices were comparable I'd go with the wide
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought a ViewSonic VX922 19" LCD monitor which is basically 4:3 with a resolution of 1280x1024

Why did I go with a 19" LCD that was NOT widescreen?

1.) I wanted a "high end" monitor. The one I bought has a 2ms response time. That's still a bit hard to come by these days. Most seem to be at least 4ms if not worse.

2.) To get a widescreen LCD that is as high (top to bottom) as a 19" 4:3 LCD requires a widescreen monitor that would probably be out of my price range.

3.) I see no need for a 16:9 WS LCD PC monitor until manufacturers get the whole HDCP HDTV thing "in order" and start to provide HDCP video cards and HDCP LCD monitors capable of 1920x1080 (1080p). Once that all gets "sorted out" and the hardware doesn't cost an arm and a leg THEN I will be happy to buy such a monitor for the computer.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="Mr. Dweezel"]I would choose multiple normal monitors.

I like to spread the desktop over 2 monitors instead of one...[quote]

indeed! we have this set-up at work now and it totally kicks ass
    i've gotten so used to it, that having only one at home messes with me

[quote="FulciLives"]...3.) I see no need for a 16:9 WS LCD PC monitor until manufacturers get the whole HDCP HDTV thing "in order" and start to provide HDCP video cards and HDCP LCD monitors capable of 1920x1080 (1080p). Once that all gets "sorted out" and the hardware doesn't cost an arm and a leg THEN I will be happy to buy such a monitor for the computer.[quote]

although I had stated previously that I don't watch movies on PC, I know that a whole lot of people (especially here) do, and your point #3 is quite a good one.
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
  8. If I could just jump in here, I just recently bought an LG 19" LCD monitor and an not very impressed with the image when I watch movies, DVD or otherwise. IS that because DVD movies as in HD and my monitor isn't? I will add though that the demo AVI movie used to aid the setup of the monitor is absolutely brilliant. Why are othe movies? High resolution photos look great. I use this PC solely for video, graphic and music editing so need high graphic quality. The PC uses an NVidia GeFORCE 6200 card.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I voted for 4:3. And if I had the extra money, I'd get one of these setups:
    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gxm/products/th2go/home.php
    I use 2 21" TFT's at work. Once you experienced dual displays, there is no going back. As for DVD movies displayed on a computer screen: DVD are relatively low res and possibly interlaced which requires the player program to interpolate the rendered pixels. This leads to potential "fuzziness" and even some artifacting. Any demos provided by the vendor will be optimized for the monitor's resolution and will look fantasic "on purpose".
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    wide... everything's going wide now. most video drivers already support it, so why not? square is out!
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on what you want to view and how you want to view it.

4:3 is default.

16:9 is for laptops to make the screen shorter in Y class (coach) airline seats, watch DVDs from one foot or edit two documents side by side.

HTPC needs a second monitor for tv display unless you like sitting half a meter from the monitor. This may be OK in one of those 2x4 meter Japanese businessman hotel rooms.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just purchased a Samsung 215TW 21" Widescreen LCD (1680x1050 native), which is an upgrade from a 19" CRT. I couldn't be happier. The additional area provided by the widescreen format is a huge boon when mupltiple applications or windows are open.

The only thing that would be better is multiple displays, and I intend to hook up my old CRT as a second display. Mainly for Photoshop, but also for things like having email or the forums open while working with video.

[Edit:] The only downside is the monitor has a 16:10 aspect ratio and is just shy of 1080. This doesn't concern me much though, since I rarely watch movies, in theater, or at home. 1680x1050 seems to be more the norm for computer displays in this size range, and this display is beautiful, it was worth every penny.
    Some people say dog is mans best friend. I say that man is dog's best slave... At least that is what my dogs think.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1680x1050 native is nice but not yet mainstream (i.e. cheap) and isn't 1920x1080 for HD/BD.

LCD is still controversial for color DTP accuracy. Many still prefer CRT phosphors.

All this depends on the application goals.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well to my eyes the image quality of my ViewSonic VX922 19" LCD monitor (1280x1024) sure beats the hell out of my old CRT which was no POS (I forget the model number but it was a 17" Flat Screen Trinitron by SONY).

Also my LCD has a color mode called, "sRGB", which as I understand it is some "new" standard when it comes to color matching and whatnot.

Looks nice to me but then again I am color blind to an extent ---> CLICK HERE

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For most things I do on a single monitor, I spend more time scrolling up and down than I do scrolling side to side. I use dual 19" CRTs (4:3) at home and a standard 4:3 16 LCD on my laptop. My next laptop will probably end up being widescreen since 4:3 laptops are getting harder to find. I agree that while it's nice to be able to watch a movie on a computer, I still prefer a big TV. When I get new monitors, they'll probably be 20" 4:3 LCDs. As stated above, the wider you go, the shorter you get.
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I like the fact that I can have two square windows open side by side on my 19" wide monitor. I just like symmetry I guess.
    Quote Quote