VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi folks. This isn't really about file conversion, but frankly I don't know where this question fits in the forums; I've never encountered this weirdness before.

I have a 10gig MKV file that will not transfer to thumb-drive, nor external HD. It will transfer fine within the C drive, or to D drive no prob's.

All my thumbs are formatted to FAT32, as is the external HD. Seems bizarre, but is there something I'm missing? All I get for a message when attempting transfers is "the drive is full" or "not enough room on drive." Both msgs are complete bollocks.

Oh yeah, just bought a Philips BDP3406 for the express purpose of playing MKV and MP4 files, and watched two flics (3 and a 4 gig) with no transfer prob's at all.

Any help appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Wanderlustus
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The maximum size any single file can be under the FAT32 filesystem is roughly 4GB, I believe. You won't be able to copy your 10GB file as-is to any of the FAT32 drives.

Your BD player will probably accept a flash drive formatted to NTFS, though, so if you have a spare, empty flash drive with enough space, you could always format it to NTFS and see if everything works with the BD player.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I did not realize this bit of info. Funny enough the file plays fine, and does transfer from C to D drive and vice versa.

The new player does except NTFS externals, so I think I'll have to give your idea a go with a thumber. I shudder at the thought of transferring a terabyte off my external in order to reformat it.

Many thanks. Now, if I just knew how to format it to NTFS. There's nothing in the XP format pop-up that supports it.

edit -- Oops. Just found it.
    Last edited by Wanderlustus; 15th Apr 2012 at 22:51.
    Cheers,
    Wanderlustus
    Quote Quote  
  4. Right. 16gig thumber re-formatted to NTFS and transferring just fine. Perhaps I should've created this file directly within the external HD and I'd not have had this problem. Still, I'd not know what I know now. Thanks for sharing your wisdom, Ai. Not the first time you've helped me with a problem; I really appreciate it.

I love this site.
    Cheers,
    Wanderlustus
    Quote Quote