VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. strange problem here my pc on first start always freezes at the windows display screen however if i press reset button on pc it will then reboot and load windows fine been hapening about a month now so this is what i have done so far

clean fans repaste chip problem is still there
    memtested memory its working fine problem is still there swopped with a differnt stick problem is still there
    replaced harddrive with a new one and reloaded fresh copy of windows problem is still there
    replaced graphics card with another one problem is still there
    swopped psu problem is still there
    double checked all connections to harddrives cdroms motherboard etc problem is still there
    ran seagate tools on harddrive no errors problem is still there
    ran seagate tools on old harddrive no errors problem is still there

i felt for sure that by replacing the harddrive and reloading os the problem would be cured if the memory and harddrive were ok

system works perfect once it boots by the way

i can life with the problem as its only my spare pc that gets used now and again but my god its annoying me now

anyone any ideas TIA
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try replacing the little motherboard battery. flat watch type silver button. it might be a loss of bios settings/reset on warm reboot. the other thing i'd check is if the memory voltage setting is correct for the ram used.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. ok just cleared cmos and replaced battery ram is 2.5v as of motherbaord manual just to clarify pc has been running fine for last 5 year with the ram installed

problem persists
    Quote Quote  
  4. One thing to try.

Go into the bios settings and look for a setting for hard drive delay. Your hard drive may be getting a little slow spinning up and adding some delay to allow for that could help.

Good Luck
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could have too many devices sharing the same interrupt.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    could be a failing PS too try removing as many power users pci cd dvd cards etc and see if it still does it. although by doing so it might also handle the shared IRQ problem that soopafresh is refering to.. but its a start
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    soopafresh i think that was a problem with win98 that went away with winXP, they handle irq's differently.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote