VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,
    when I try to add a *.sup DVD subtitle to mkvmerge (GUI) it tells me that it wouldn't be a supported container format (HD-DVD sub).
    Is there an easy way to convert the subtitles to a format that mkvmerge can deal with?
    A similar easy to use DVD demuxer like PgcDemux with a compliant subtitle format would be great too.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try subtitle edit to ocr them to a compatible format.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Unfortunately, Subtitle Edit says the subtitle file would be too large.
    It's about 4MB. Is this normal?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i've never seen that myself. try letting it get the subs directly from the dvd? if that doesn't work do a search for the movie name and subtitle. there are some sites you can download them from.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  5. Convert the SUP file PGCDemux gives you to VobSubs (IDX/SUB) using SubtitleCreator.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Convert the SUP file PGCDemux gives you to VobSubs (IDX/SUB) using SubtitleCreator.
    can it go directly to srt which is what's needed, or do you need to then go from sub/idx to srt with subtitle edit?
    --
    Quote Quote  
  7. If it only supports SRT subs, then my suggestion is useless, of course. I've never used MKVMerge. But often programs that don't support SUP files will support VobSubs. The advantage of using VobSubs, if possible, is that you get subs identical to those in the DVD, as far as colors, font, positioning, size etc. goes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use SUPRip to convert *sup to *srt
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    i've never seen that myself. try letting it get the subs directly from the dvd? if that doesn't work do a search for the movie name and subtitle. there are some sites you can download them from.
    This "works" but unfortunately it takes forever (at least long) and the result is somehow messed up (subtitles don't fit anymore to the right frame etc. etc.).
    I want to do a remux to save time.

Originally Posted by Vladrial View Post
    It can't open the files, gives this error:

I'm starting to believe that the extracted *.sup files by PgcDemux are simply corrupted. I tested with two totally different DVDs and it didn't work.
    Video and audio are demuxed fine though.

Seems like I need another tool to extract the subtitles (only).
    Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Julian_evil View Post
    Unfortunately, Subtitle Edit says the subtitle file would be too large.
    It's about 4MB. Is this normal?
    I have used this program many times to convert BR sup files to srt. It will give the too large dialog if you try to drop the file into the program. When you load the program under the file drop down box there are about a half dozen import selections so my suggestion would be to try to find one that would take your subtitle without the too large error.

For BR sups the selection is import/OCR sup.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Vladrial View Post
    He says they're from DVD.
    Originally Posted by cal_tony View Post
    I have used this program many times to convert BR sup files to srt.
    He says they're from DVD, demuxed by PGCDemux.
    Originally Posted by Julian_evil View Post
    I'm starting to believe that the extracted *.sup files by PgcDemux are simply corrupted.
    If I've extracted SUP files from DVDs using PGCDemux once I've done it a thousand times. And none were corrupted. I don't even know why you suggest they are. Because MKVMerge doesn't support DVD SUP files (which are different from Blu-Ray SUP files)? You can test them by opening them to read in either SubtitleCreator or SUPViewer. You can even convert them to SRT automatically using DVDSubEdit (along with the IFO).
    Quote Quote