VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After installing a video editor (Aiseesoft), I set the output destination to a folder in a second partition which is 'D:\Videos.' That folder had plenty of video files. Big mistake. All the files in that folder disappeared.

Using Recuva recovery software, I was able to recover a few files. The others won't play though. Now whenever I do the Search command, the deleted files are listed in the folder 'H/Videos' which seems a virtual drive. From that H drive, I was able to play the files but the files are truncated(cut short). I can even copy them to D:\ Videos and play but they are not complete. No big problem because I have a backup of them but in different and edited format.

My problem is how to permanently delete the deleted files from that H drive. Deleting them from the Search Results only gave a message "nothing to do" and "deleting from archive" which continues endlessly. Not sure if they still occupy hard drive space physically.

Using XP SP3. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    deleted files are listed in the folder 'H/Videos' which seems a virtual drive
    I'm not sure how you are set up but as I understand it you have one, single hard drive with two (2) partitions, C and D. Correct me if I am wrong. Now you suddenly have H appearing; in one sentence you call it a folder, in a different sentence you call it a "drive" which means it is a partition. In explore is it listed as a separate partition (even if it is virtual, it still acts as a physical partition)? If you answer is "yes", what happens when you right click once on it in Explore?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Probably not the answer you're looking for but this does work. If you have Unix/Linux skills, you can install the free Cygwin package (http://www.cygwin.org) and open a Bash shell and use good old "rm" to get rid of your files. Anything deleted by "rm" is gone and won't show up in a Recycle Bin.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Install Ccleaner, you get new right click menu options to wipe a drive's free space and secure erase the recycle bin.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    Install Ccleaner, you get new right click menu options to wipe a drive's free space and secure erase the recycle bin.
    It's the advanced tool that allows to solve related problems without any hassles. I use it very often.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You can actually search for free File Shredder software. I know there are tons of them around online.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I like to use directory snoop. You get 25 free uses.
    http://www.briggsoft.com/dsnoop.htm
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I love these hit & run posters. We try to help them and they don't even bother to reply.
    Quote Quote  
  9. He actually is a member since 2005, I checked his profile. Maybe he just missed this, what I would like to think. But for me, file shredders online(frreeware) are my top choices for this task.
    Quote Quote