VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Before opening this new thread i did a bit of research through old ones. Found some useful info, but still doubtful about this and that, hence opening a new one.

This is the thing: I live in Europe (region 2, PAL) and need to burn a couple of movies for my friend living in USA.

My stand alone DVD is not hacked or anything, but I can flawlessly play NTSC dvds on it as long as they are "all regions" and not region 1.

My question is: if i simply turn my movies from PAL Region 2 to PAL all region, will she be able to play them on her standalone dvd in the USA? I guess that depends on what model of dvd player she has, but I would like to know if chances are possibly high or not. I would reencode them in NTSC only if really needed.

Thanks in advance for your time to read this and for any kind of hints or suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by twinaleblood View Post
    My question is: if i simply turn my movies from PAL Region 2 to PAL all region, will she be able to play them on her standalone dvd in the USA?
    Probably not.
    ...but I would like to know if chances are possibly high or not.
    I'd say the chances are under 10%. Most 'regular' people don't search out a player that can convert PAL to NTSC and as a rule NTSC DVD players can't play PAL DVDs. You could always ask her the brand and model of the player and then ask or check the database here. If it's to be a surprise I wouldn't chance it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you Manono, I think I'll go for a full reencode then, just to be sure. Any suggestions on which software will do better?
    I usually work with Dvd Decrypter and DVD-Lab Pro 2, but i use them to avoid reencoding.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by twinaleblood View Post
    Any suggestions on which software will do better?
    AvsToDVD will do it for you correctly. You won't get back the original menus. though, but rudimentary ones.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Oh don't care about the menus, so it's ok. I already installed AvsToDVD a while ago, but never really got to use it, guess this is the right time. Thanks for your advices! I'll post the results here (or questions that might pop up in the meantime).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you are really only doing this twice, fine, but if you are really going to be doing this all the time, you'd be better off to just buy your friend a converting DVD player. Philips still makes converting DVD (NOT BluRay) players in the USA and Canada.

Women are rarely as interested in video as men are. I suggest you consider the possibility that the only person who really wants to see these videos is YOU and not her. Don't put yourself to a lot of trouble because the odds are that she probably doesn't care about seeing them as much you think she does or as much as you want her to see them. I speak from experience here.
    Quote Quote