VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. anyone knows how to do this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I tried all of them, I want to remove the information of writing application, in this case is mkvmerge in header of mkv file, mkvpropedit is a part of mkvtoolnix and it did not support this function. So sad. Any tool could edit whole pieces of information in mkv's header? tks for your repy.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by f4lls View Post
    Any tool could edit whole pieces of information in mkv's header?
    As a last resort --- use a hex editor to replace (overwrite) the offending info with blank spaces.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Can you recommend me a hex editor you usually use? and how to know the indicator to blank. I think hex is human unreadable thing. How can I know it's "writing application" section in hex editor? tks for reply.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I use winhex but there are many others . You can use the search function in any hex editor e.g. "writing application" or whatever text is in the field
    Quote Quote  
  6. In the ASCII pane you can see the text that MediaInfo (bottom) shows as the writing application. Just replace the text with spaces or whatever other text you want.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hex.png
Views:	1612
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	23701

Be sure not to screw up other parts of the file.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Other alternate authentic way would be writing a simple matroska muxer per specs for Matroska ver-2 from scratch. It would not mess up anything.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by enim View Post
    Other alternate authentic way would be writing a simple matroska muxer per specs rev-2 from scratch. It would not mess up anything.
    LOL. A guy who doesn't know what a hex editor is probably isn't in any position to write a program.
    Quote Quote  
  9. LOL. A guy who doesn't know what a hex editor is probably isn't in any position to write a program.
    Still OP want to mess up and over write someone's credit for his/her genuine work. I am pretty sure that question is asked after making couples of files non-playable. Simple visual header comparison might have lead him into right direction if differences can be visualized.
    Last edited by enim; 21st Feb 2014 at 10:02.
    Quote Quote  
  10. It did work, thanks for your all replies. I filled the information with 00 (select area ASCII then Ctrl-L) in winhex.

Click image for larger version

Name:	code.jpg
Views:	1312
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	23709
    Quote Quote  
  11. I would like to edit the writing application field ("mkvmerge...") to add basic tagging to the files I create (Director and Writer, sometimes ripping Source), since Matroska tags are not widely supported, yet all versions of Haali can pass on the 'application' and 'library' fields to players.

What is the correct way to put a variable length string into this field, without visible padding with spaces? The field itself is long enough for my purposes. Preferably without re-muxing. mkvpropedit can't edit the field.

Edit:

Padding the string with 0x00 Null bytes appears to work in all players, and might be compatible with the specification.

"UTF-8 - Unicode string, zero padded when needed"
    Last edited by j7n; 15th Jun 2014 at 20:35. Reason: Solution found.
    Quote Quote