VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings .....

DISCLAIMER -- Although mention may be made herein of DVD recorder units, the specific issues discussed deal only with playback capability.

I have long been aware that CD Data Discs with MP3 files are playable on most modern DVD players, but now I am becoming aware that DVD Data Discs with MP3's are also playable, provided that the DVD player supports such playback.

I happen to possess two DVD players, the Magnovox MDR513H / F7 and Toshiba DR430KU player-recorders, each of which will properly play back DVD Data Discs with MP3's. Each unit will also display (in full text, not just numbers) the full list of available folders as well as a list of individual files in each folder.

If anyone knows of other DVD players which support playback of DVD Data Discs with MP3's, please list such players here.

Regarding Blu-Ray -- While I have no experience of any kind with that particular medium, I would still be interested to know if any current players support playing of CD, DVD and Blu-Ray data discs with MP3's.

SPECIAL NOTE -- For best results in any unit that can play back a Data Disc with MP3's, it is recommended that such discs should always be burned at slow speeds (CD at 16x--if not lower, DVD at 6x).

BTW, I am also aware that ...

(1) Some DVD and BluRay units have USB input ports to allow an external device to be connected.

(2) In some cases with a USB external Hard Drive, any such device that is self-powered (IE, has no AC adapter) may not function properly when attached.

(3) There is a limit on the number of folders and individual files stored on a disc or external drive that a DVD player can properly handle.

(4) Some units may have ports for flash cards such as SD/SDHC, as well as ports for other storage mediums.

Thanx-A-Lot, Frank-0-Video
    Last edited by Frank-0-Video; 5th May 2013 at 22:14.
    THE Ultimate TV Tuner Device - Picks up every broadcast-cable-satellite transmission since 1928!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Basically you know everything you need to know already. Just read the specs of the particular player you are looking at getting. It will tell you whether or not it can play mp3 files.

Also if it can play mp3 it will play it from the highest format it can read - ie if its a dvd player it can read from dvdr if its bluray it can read from burnt bluray discs - just note there are lots of different recordable bluray formats. I don't know if all bluray players can read all recordable bluray disc formats. Again you will need to read the specs for the specific model you want to know exactly what it can and can't do.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings ....

Thanks Yoda313. I'll be sure to check the specs on each DVD recorder and player, as well as each Blu-Ray player I look at.

Some older DVD players may handle Data CD's with MP3's, but not Data DVD's. Already I've learned that a Panasonic player-recorder (DMR-EZ27), made in 2007, won't take such DVD's. Hmmm - I wonder how other brands made prior to, during or after 2007 might handle data DVD's. Anyone who wants to test their DVD player (or player-recorder) and then report their findings in this particular thread is welcome to do so. Please be sure to include the manufacturer, model # and (if possible) the year the unit was made.

Last edited by Frank-0-Video; 5th May 2013 at 16:50.
    THE Ultimate TV Tuner Device - Picks up every broadcast-cable-satellite transmission since 1928!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm curious why are you looking so far back? If you only need dvd then regular dvd players are dirt cheap these days. Just read up on the ones that are currently available. There should be plenty of available tech specs on the current models. I don't believe an exhaustive search is necessary.

Just go to a store website and search for the price range you want and inside of a half hour tops you should find one that plays everything you need it to.

Also note the ones that do files off a usb harddrive. Make sure it does ntfs if you want it to do video over 4gb in file size (most modern bluray players that support usb video playback will support ntfs just double check for sure).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings Yet Again ....

YODA313 --- I'm just doing this for the benefit of others who have DVD players made in any time period, and may want to know (or learn) about the potential playback abilities of the units they possess.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Frank-0-Video View Post
    Greetings Yet Again ....

YODA313 --- I'm just doing this for the benefit of others who have DVD players made in any time period, and may want to know (or learn) about the potential playback abilities of the units they possess.

Thats an honorable goal I guess. But all they have to do is look up the manual online and find out for themselves.

I'd say maybe its time to find another project to work on? Maybe a new hobby? I don't mean to be rude or anything but its not that hard to find out and anybody that really needs that capability will probably just buy a new dvd player or simply a handheld mp3 player - or even just use their smartphone these days.

I'm just trying to save you some time and any aggravation here.
    Quote Quote