VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The subject should say enough.

I'm really lost in this demuxing stuff, so I'd be super-grateful if someone has a simple solution that HAS worked for him for these exact problem.

I have .mpg files with mpeg II video and AC3 5.1 audio (48kHz 16bit). I'd like to get the center channel of the audio, de-noise it in audio editor and put it back in video (I only need mono, since it's going on the web.)

As far as audio de-noising and putting it all back together, there shouldn't be any problems (or I hope so). For now I just can't seem to get a normal mono wave of the center speaker.

I get ac3 files with ReJig, but converting them with Hyper cube seems to mess up sample rate, since wave is then on super speed (like 3 times faster).
    Video Lan VLC doesn't convert to wave (or anything similar)
    No results with VidrualDub (including ac3 plugin) or importing in Audacity either.

Any suggestions on how to demux to single mono files from mpg files, or what (preferably freeware) software to use, is greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The act of demuxing does not fundamentally change either file. You do not demux to a mono wav file, you demux to an mpg video and an ac3 audio file. Then you use an audio converter to change the ac3 to 6 mono wave files. Two seperate actions.

Besweet with a GUI is excellent for this last step. Lots of ways to demux, just make sure that seperating the audio and video is all the prog is doing. No sample rate conversion should be happening.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use HeadAC3he to convert the AC3 to wave, using whichever channels you want.

Click on "Options" to see the channel selection.

Just ignore it if it nags you about a Vorbis plugin, you don't need it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys. Besweet did the job.
    Haven't tried HeadAC3he yet, i'll give it a go one day.
    Quote Quote