VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a new Samsung BD-D6500 player in US at Best Buy. As it is for region 1, I need to hack for all regions.
    I have follow the instructions of BD-D5500 to hack the BD-D6500. However the remote control does not have the button REPEAT!!
    Any can help me on that? What button in the remote control should substitute REPEAT one?
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The hack probably won't work. We've had a report of exactly ONE Samsung BluRay player sold in the USA that can be made region free. I don't remember what it was, but I do remember the poster said that the hack worked exactly as it was written. Almost all Samsung hacks are for Australian players.

If by some miracle you get this to work for you, do understand that it will make the player region free ONLY for DVD playback and not for BluRay playback.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. Re blue ray playback I don't have problems, once my region is the same of US.
    I need to hack the DVD playback! I would like to try the post, but I don't find the REPEAT button in the remote control. My question is if someone knows what is the equivalent button in the new remote control of Samsung.
    Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Similar experience with Samsung BDD6500 bought in US October '11. Hack won't work because there's no REPEAT key. I like the unit very much so far (bought it yesterday) -- its only shortcoming is not being region free. I too would appreciate suggestions if anyone has one.

Noting JMAN98's comments, I'm not optimistic. But I'd ask: are there some brands that usually ARE amenable to region-free hacks?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by kurterichsen@hotmail.com View Post
    are there some brands that usually ARE amenable to region-free hacks?
    VERY few....and most of them are DVD players.....NOT Blu Ray players.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kurterichsen@hotmail.com View Post

Noting JMAN98's comments, I'm not optimistic. But I'd ask: are there some brands that usually ARE amenable to region-free hacks?
    Philips and Pioneer models are may still be hackable and I've seen reports that suggest that Insignia may be hackable too. However I cannot personally confirm any of those hacks on BluRay players. Typically hacks on BluRay players only make them region free for DVD playback.

You can't buy their models in stores like Best Buy, but Oppo players are supposed to still be hackable for DVD and BluRay playback. Their models require a hardware modification for this that either you or the seller will have to do to make the player region free.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I must thank 'mxm' in the Whirlpool forum for this solution. It does work (on 2nd attempt for me).

I know that I started the 'repeat' 7 6 8 8 4 process whilst the blue light was still on during the "press eject button".

Whether that helped or not, who knows? In any case, I was very happy to see the '4' appear in the top right of the TV screen.

To quote 'mxm. ...

Just confirming this does work for DVDs, so good news. The instructions for the bd d5500 didn't quite apply since there isn't a physical tray. This is what I did and it worked:

1. Ensure there is no disk in the player
    2. Turn off and turn on the player (clean boot)
    3. Wait for the menu to appear on your tv

Now this is a bit tricky, you'll have to be quick, you'll probably have to try a couple of times.

4. press the eject button (on the remote or on the display)
    5. press the eject button again
    6. on your remote, in one smooth motion, press 'repeat' 7 6 8 8 4
    7. As soon as you see the '4' appear on the top right of your tv, press 9.

Your player is now region free for DVDs. Enjoy! Please note: as you've probably found all over the web, this works for Australian players, most likely not for others.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    My remote control doens´t have the "REPEAT" button. Any idea? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Up.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    A year after and no code so far. Bloody Samsung.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    More than two years and no code yet. I can wait. LOL
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by glycon View Post
    thanks. Re blue ray playback i don't have problems, once my region is the same of us.
    I need to hack the dvd playback! I would like to try the post, but i don't find the repeat button in the remote control. My question is if someone knows what is the equivalent button in the new remote control of samsung.
    Thanks again!
    use pause
    Quote Quote