VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Does any one know if there is a way to use MacPorts to create a portable version of MPlayer/Mencoder (based on the mplayer-devel port), in a way that the .app will run properly on systems that do not have MacPorts installed?

Cu Selur

Ps.: alternatively: does any one know a place where to get an up-do-date mplayer/mencoder application bundle for MacOS X?
    Last edited by Selur; 22nd Apr 2012 at 08:32.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Since I'm new to the whole 'deploy stuff on mac' I wondered if some of you could give some feedback if all of the attached files work fine on your mac system.
    (just extract the .zip, and call the files in the macstuff/MacOS folder through the console,.. i.e. ./mencoder , ./mplayer)

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  3. hello, not compatible with SnowLeopard (I suppose you compiled them in Lion?)
    Code:
    ~/Downloads/macstuff/MacOS/mencoder ; exit;
    dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
      Referenced from: /Users/herve/Downloads/macstuff/MacOS/../libs/libfontconfig.1.dylib
      Reason: Incompatible library version: libfontconfig.1.dylib requires version 8.0.0 or later, but libiconv.2.dylib provides version 7.0.0
    Trace/BPT trap
    logout
    bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  4. nope it's compiled on SnowLeopard, but it's a pain to find the right libs since I have no second mac system to check if the combination is okay or not,.. :/
    Problem is, I don't know how to check the version of a library on mac.

I thouthg otool -L libName would do that,.. but if I call it on the libiconv from the zip, I get:

Code:
    otool -L /Users/selur/Desktop/macstuff/libs/libiconv.2.dylib 
    /Users/selur/Desktop/macstuff/libs/libiconv.2.dylib:
    	/usr/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib (compatibility version 8.0.0, current version 8.1.0)
    	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 125.2.11)
    Last edited by Selur; 29th Apr 2012 at 07:17.
    Quote Quote  
  5. would be nice if someone could test if the attached libiconv resolves the issue

Thanks!

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  6. Code:
    otool -L /Users/herve/Downloads/libiconv.2.dylib 
    /Users/herve/Downloads/libiconv.2.dylib:
    	/opt/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib (compatibility version 8.0.0, current version 8.1.0)
    	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 125.2.11)
    PS (my advice):
    - make yourself your compile (avoid these automated sites/compilators, and avoid dylib)
    - create a second account to test your builds (the less intrusive account, with the "less" authorizations: it's not perfect but pratical to test on a single computer ). But a fresh system (whitout any compile or XCode install) on an external disk is the best solution.

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I never thought about setting up a second account,.. will try -> doesn't help, on my system (using the other user account) mplayer&mencoder work without an error. :/

---

"avoid dylib" -> tried that for 3 days but couldn't get mplayer&mencoder (with x264, xvid,...) to compile into one static binary,..
    (works fine on windows&linux )

-> think I figured it out,..
    Last edited by Selur; 2nd May 2012 at 07:04.
    Quote Quote  
  8. btw. if someone stumbles over this thread and knows a place that shares up-to-date binary (or .app) files of mplayer&mencoder please share since compiling did only work for about a month or so.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'd no longer recommend mplayer, especially on Mac where the http://mpv.io fork is great. Unfortunately they removed mencoder. Use http://brew.sh to compile it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. tried mpv,...
    - it had less filters then mplayer&mencoder
    - it's slave mode was 'buggy'
    - bunch of cli parameters changed
    also looking at the script you link to, it also doesn't seem to create a portable .app -> not really useful in this thread

-> might be useful to some users, but I personally wouldn't recommend it.
    Quote Quote