VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Finally thinking of getting one.
    I dont see the point in getting an Elgato for $40 more, all software crashes thats normal, nothings perfect and if I'm only uploading to sites like Youtube, dealing with 14 Mbps bitrates is perfectly fine. Also it seems like the PVR is more older-gen Console friendly because of the Component AV connector, whereas the Elgato only comes with a connector for the PS3 and HDMI.

I was hunting some prices and noticed that many places stock the 1512 model, some places have the 1488 model and some have the 1504 model.

Is there any difference or is it a Higher-Is-Better scenario ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by HyeVltg3 View Post
    Finally thinking of getting one.
    I dont see the point in getting an Elgato for $40 more, all software crashes thats normal, nothings perfect and if I'm only uploading to sites like Youtube, dealing with 14 Mbps bitrates is perfectly fine. Also it seems like the PVR is more older-gen Console friendly because of the Component AV connector, whereas the Elgato only comes with a connector for the PS3 and HDMI.

I was hunting some prices and noticed that many places stock the 1512 model, some places have the 1488 model and some have the 1504 model.

Is there any difference or is it a Higher-Is-Better scenario ?
    The HD PVR 2 model 1512 is designed for recording TV from an HD satellite receiver or HD cable box. It has IR blaster capability, a digital optical audio input, and blue accent lighting.
    The HD PVR 2 model 1504 is geared to recording video games. It has green accent lighting and digital optical audio input.
    The HD PVR 2 model 1466 is made for recording video games and has green accent lighting. It lacks the digital optical audio input present on the other two models.

The software package and the cables included are also a bit different between the three models.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    wow thanks for the really quick reply, the lack of the optical input on the 14xx model, does that mean it doesnt record 5.1 signals or instead it grabs it from the HDMI?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by HyeVltg3 View Post
    wow thanks for the really quick reply, the lack of the optical input on the 14xx model, does that mean it doesnt record 5.1 signals or instead it grabs it from the HDMI?
    Hauppauge only mentions 5.1 audio capture via HDMI for the 15xx models, so I'm guessing the 1466 model is limited to stereo audio from an HDMI source.
    Quote Quote