VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

I have a Canon 550D/T2i, a Canon S100 and a GoPro Hero 3 Silver. I was wondering what is best fps to shoot at?

Canon S100 - Only shoots at 24fps and I think the video quality looks fantastic.

Canon 550D/T2i - Also great video quality, shoots at 24fps, 25fps, 29fps and 30fps.

GoPro Hero 3 Silver - Shoots at 24fps, 25fps, 29fps and 30fps.

The only common frame rate between all three cameras is 24fps? Should I just shoot them all at 24fps?

The reason I'm asking is that I've been told the GoPro is smoothest and has best video at 30fps? but how would this then settle in with video from my Canon S100 that only does 24fps?

I want to shoot in 1080p for all. I am using the GoPro and S100 for day to day short travel videos that I want to piece together into short movies. The Canon 550D/T2i I also occasionally use for this.

One other thing I film is scenic locations where I hit a single golf shot and then walk off the screen. It's more the scenery than the sport element of this? So 24fps should be fine with this as well?

I final question: If I have some video at 25fps and some at 24fps and put them into the same timeline in Adobe Premiere to produce a 24fps video, will that work and look ok? It will just remove one fps??

Any help on the best idea for shooting so that I can edit these videos together would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I would use 24 for all.

You have to decide what your final format goal(s) are (how is it going to be viewed? blu-ray, web, dvd , computer file?) because that may partially influence what you choose

You should be using 25p for all since you're in the UK. Your electrical grid and TV's run at 50Hz. 25 is evenly divisible into 50.

I final question: If I have some video at 25fps and some at 24fps and put them into the same timeline in Adobe Premiere to produce a 24fps video, will that work and look ok? It will just remove one fps??
    Dropping a 25p asset onto a 24p timeline , using default settings, will drop 1 frame in 25. So you will get a glitch every second.

But if you interpret the footage as 24p, it will just slow it down by 24/25 , keeping all the frames nothing dropped or added (ie. it plays it back a 96% speed) - but you need to slow the audio as well, or don't use audio from that camera
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

Thanks for the response. I have shot some stuff with 25fps so will need to try and do what you said to have it play on the 24fps timeline. The audio isn't too important as normally it's just the video I use with music over the top of it etc.

I've recently shot the GoPro at 30fps but will change it to shoot 24fps in future now. Everything I create will just be for online or for plugging into the tv via my laptop so the localisation etc I don't think matters.

Thanks for the tips and the response, it's greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you think of framerate as "capture rate", so long as you prevent judder while filming, you can always conform mixed framerates.
    Quote Quote  
  5. To interpret the footage, right click the clip in the clip bin => interpret footage => assume this frame rate (enter the number)

Make sure that you understand the differences between 23.976p and 24.0p . You want to get that correct and matching in the camera settings and in the software for sequence settings. People say "24p" but they usually mean 23.976p ( unless it's film or for dcp)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Ok, so that means I shouldn't be overly concerned if they are slightly off but in the future try and stick to 24fps for all for ease.

I think they are all 23.976p but it says 24fps in the camera settings.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I would be concerned because of potential sync issues, especially on longer edits. But if you're definitely not using audio from that source, then don't worry about it

Some cameras use that "24p" abbreviation in the menus but you should really find out what it is

If you use mediainfo (view=>text) on some of the clips it should provide the frame rates. Premiere will also indicate what "it thinks" the file's framerate is
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    If you think of framerate as "capture rate", so long as you prevent judder while filming, you can always conform mixed framerates.
    Man, sure you can mix framerates but that's a hackish way to do it

You want to avoid mixed framerates, because "conforming" means messing up your footage . For most NLE's this means either dropped frames, or inserted duplicates or blends . YOU introduce judder, even if there was none to begin with

Ideally you should shoot the intended framerate ONLY

24p and 25p aren't too bad to mix if you adjust the audio because you can speed them up or slow them down to match by interpreting the footage (keeping all frames as described earlier - nothing dropped or inserted). They aren't too far apart, so the audio change isn't too drastic. This is commonly done with PAL<=>NTSC conversions
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    I've just had a Google and all three cameras run at a true capture of 23.976 fps.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So if a cameraman overcranks or undercranks, that's a hack? Same thing.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    So if a cameraman overcranks or undercranks, that's a hack?
    If there is meant to be an intended speed change, there are either timecodes & metadata that indicate this; or it is a "VFR" in "CFR" stream (frames are repeated within the current timebase rate) . The 2nd one is the same end result as doing it in a NLE with frame repeats

But that's not the same thing as using 2 or more cameras with different FPS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are times when the higher rates can be beneficial, even with the downside of conforming it later. Example: SloMo.

Unfortunately, 24 frames is the oddball rate that doesn't mix well with 15, 30, and 60 fps. 15/30/60 are evenly divisible.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    There are times when the higher rates can be beneficial, even with the downside of conforming it later. Example: SloMo.
    Absolutely!

But that's not conforming to the timeline. That's interpreting the footage. (i.e what I said earlier about same number of frames, nothing dropped or added, it's just played back slower. In vegas , you would right click the clip change the "playback rate" with disabling resampling, in premiere you would right click and interpret the footage)

Conforming to the timeline in a NLE means you will get a cadence issue, unless it's evenly divisible like you said e.g. 29.97 and 59.94 , 25 and 50 (for PAL)

e.g. if you conform 50p footage onto a 25p timeline, every 2nd frame is dropped. There is no sudden or cyclical inserted frames or dropped frames. Everything is smooth because frames are "evenly spaced" in time, or displayed for the same amount of time. If you put 25p footage on a 24p timeline, you will get a jerk every second (not so smooth because 1 frame is dropped / second) . If you put 24p footage on a 25p timeline, you will still get a jerk every second, because the NLE inserts a frame (either a blend or a duplicate) .
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 20th Feb 2014 at 12:15.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, that's what I originally meant by conforming. Retiming. Potato/Pototo. I don't disagree with you, just throwing out other thoughts for the OP.

24p is a fickle bitch. A little too much motion and you get judder. You have to always have that in your mind, so it's one more bit of stress when you're trying to get that shot.
    Last edited by budwzr; 20th Feb 2014 at 12:33.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Check out the Drift HD Ghost,
    Quote Quote