VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all.

I recorded a tv show from my Hauppauge tv tuner in my pc. I recorded in HD, mpeg2 ts.

I dropped the video clip into Sony Vegas Pro 12.

When Vegas was injesting the clip, it crashed.

The clip plays fine, but there must be something where Vegas doesn't like it.

What can I use to convert to avi, or another format, that will allow me to edit the clip?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try avidemux to convert to avi or mp4 etc..
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    Why would he do that?.....avi and mp4 are containers. What would he put IN these containers?

Load the file in AviDemux and change from TS to PS
    Copy
    Copy
    mpeg-ps

If Sony Vegas cannot accept that, it's time to dump Vegas.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Why would he do that?.....avi and mp4 are containers. What would he put IN these containers?

Load the file in AviDemux and change from TS to PS
    Copy
    Copy
    mpeg-ps

If Sony Vegas cannot accept that, it's time to dump Vegas.
    He wants to covert to avi. Why shouldn't he use Avidemux to do just that?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well.... he asked to change it to avi

as long as he copies the video track, it makes little difference what container he puts it in
    as long as 'Vegas' will accept it
    mpeg-ps or avi as long as vegas accepts it

i did Not suggest re-encoding
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by blud7 View Post
    MPEG2 in an avi container? I'm not sure how that is going to help.
    MPEG-PS is a straight MPEG file....MPEG-TS is a "transport stream".
    If Vegas can't accept a straight MPEG file, why use it?
    I have my Hauppauge card(WinTV actually) automatically change from TS to PS after the recording is done....maybe the OP should look into that option.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Run the ts file through ts-doctor. If there is anything wrong with it then it may be able to fix it.

No obvious reason why vegas should not be able to load a mpeg2 ts file.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by blud7 View Post
    MPEG2 in an avi container? I'm not sure how that is going to help.
    MPEG-PS is a straight MPEG file....MPEG-TS is a "transport stream".
    If Vegas can't accept a straight MPEG file, why use it?
    I have my Hauppauge card(WinTV actually) automatically change from TS to PS after the recording is done....maybe the OP should look into that option.
    If he wants to input to Vegas, your advice is golden.
    What I'm thinking is that his goal is an avi output, not a multiplex, but a transcode.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Have you tried remuxing the original ts file into a new ts or m2ts file with tsmuxer to see if the problem goes away?

I don't use Vegas but it seems sometimes the audio from broadcast TV can switch between stereo and multi-channel which can cause problems. You could also try using tsmuxer to create a new "video only" ts file to see if Vegas can open it without crashing, which might help determine whether the problem is being caused by the audio or the video.
    tsmuxer can also split and join ts files so you might be able to effectively use it for editing, although it's not really designed for that (no video preview).

If your "editing" involves simply removing unwanted sections of video (ie commercials) you could try Video To Video Converter. It has a "Commercial Remover" under the Tools menu. I've not played with it yet myself, but it has a preview and I'm pretty sure it'll let you edit out sections of video without re-encoding. I think the way it works is you do the editing, then when you select "Ok" it takes you to the window for selecting an output conversion/file type. The last one, "remux only", doesn't do any re-encoding.
    Or you could edit with Video To Video converter and convert to an AVI containing lossless audio and video if you want to open that AVI for further editing before re-encoding it, or you could try converting the whole thing to a lossless AVI, or even remuxing the existing ts file as an AVI etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It would help to post a MediaInfo report on the file. MPEG TS files can be mpeg2 video and AC3 audio or mpa or the video could be H264. So that might be the reason Vegas is not responding; a missing codec?

At any rate if you demux the file into an audio and video file you should be able to load them into Vegas. AT least you will get a not recognised message for either the audio or video component
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Vegas does have some problem with X264 lately. I had one in an AVI and got a black screen. Another time I had a problem it ended up working after I waited a long time.

In this case you might want to roll back your K-Lite, or try the latest build. Another thing is your associations might be calling up the wrong decoder.

I also had this happen with my HDPVR on the TS and PS extensions, but not on the MP4 extensions. I think MP4 uses the Apple decoder QuickTime. Don't know if that matters or not, but you might update Quicktime too.
    Quote Quote