VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys , is there any way I can download programs from i Player. I have a 1.8 dual core Laptop running Win 7 ? is there any current tutorials for iPlayer downloading? Cheers
    Health IS the first Wealth------So do not strain your eyes!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by bat999; 27th Jan 2014 at 16:25.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks bat999, have you tried it out? the designer seems to have jumped ship on this prog? is there any limitations ? I was reading one post that indicates that the BBC are updating the open source coding all the time to stop video capture from iplayer? anyway, bat999, thanks for putting me in the right direction to learn more. I had an idea that it could be done , didn't know how , or how easy or difficult it might be. Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by visionman View Post
    ... I was reading one post that indicates that the BBC are updating the open source coding all the time to stop video capture from iplayer? ...
    I believe what that meant was that they're constantly changing the protocols. That's become quite common, and it's certainly not just the beeb. It makes it harder to find software that'll do it from one week to the next.

AFAIK you'll either have to buy a good program with a good updating policy or learn the nuts and bolts yourself. You can't expect freeware developers to keep up with all the protocol changes.

And actually it's not open source. That's the problem with these changes. If it were open source it'd be easier to keep up with it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Hoser Rob, what the heck soes AFAIK mean? I agree with you regarding free software, its amazing anyone took the time to work out how to do it in the first place, never mind keeping it going Im not a nuts and bolts person, and any links to commercail software progs that can do the job are welcomed Thanks also for the current awareness concerning protocols being manipulted/adjusted, to counter accessing video. One question though, the measures being used by the bbc and others , are they harmful to the O/S trying to access their video? or are they access denied restrictions only? whereby, I can just find new software with no harm done to the O/S Cheers.
    Thanks CristianoA for the software packages links.
    Quote Quote  
  6. visionman: AFAIK means As Far As I Know.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Programs like rtmpdump are what I was thinking of when I suggested that you may need to learn the "nut and bolts" to be able to do this consistently. You didn't seem interested in this so I never mentioned it. But there may not be any way around it.

And you'll probably want to learn how to use your browser in developer more too. Some browsers are better than others there. I've been told by someone very competent that opera is the best. Firefox is pretty good. IE probably stinks ... it does at everything else.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Hoser Rob, thanks for the advice, I looked at some tutorials,both MS (on this forum) and Linux for manipulating scripts in rtmpdump. I think i will need some advice regarding Linux coding. I looked at one (simple) tutorial (to get me started)! It looked like you would need a PhD in computer science to make sense of the screenshots. I am still interested in the idea of downloading video, however I might have to start at the rookie stage (if there is one?) Im thinking, You Tube and Linux Mint downloads with the download apps available, I dont mind experimenting with an old spare HDD, loaded with Linux. Now all I need is some info on swapping the Linux HDD, I dont want to mess my Win 7 HDD up, I know if swapping separate Win and Linux HDDs on the same machine can cause problems if they are .not on the same screen resolution when you change them, Many thanks for the advice and insights on this issue.
    Quote Quote