VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm interested in this recorder for a low cost solution. I want to save $$$ for now and see what surfaces down the road. I have a PVR and record only movies, so I don't need a hard drive for editing out commercials. I will pick up a RAM reader for my PC for the rare occasion I might want to edit. I really don't care about fancy menus so that isn't a concern either. All this being said, what do you think of the E55? I have searched the web and haven't found any reviews or users opinions. Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks, Dan

Run for the Life of it!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have an E55 but I have an E50 and I'm completely happy with it. I even paid a little more so I could buy locally and be able to bring it back for a refund if I needed to.

THe only issue was with cheap Princo white-top blanks that were choking my PC writer too. Now that I'm using exclusively Riteks it's fine.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Capmaster
    I don't have an E55 but I have an E50 and I'm completely happy with it. I even paid a little more so I could buy locally and be able to bring it back for a refund if I needed to.

THe only issue was with cheap Princo white-top blanks that were choking my PC writer too. Now that I'm using exclusively Riteks it's fine.
    If you need a third opinion I agree 100% with Capmaster. Problem with cheap discs and no problem with Ritek. I only use it for dupe from video. For that purpose it makes good sense. Be aware that any attempt to use DVD-RAM to record and edit later is very limited on the E-50 and very time consuming to convert to a standard format on a PC.
    Still a few bugs in the system...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by danchis
    All this being said, what do you think of the E55? I have searched the web and haven't found any reviews or users opinions. Any help will be appreciated!
    The DMR-E55 is a replacement model for the DMR-E50 with a $100 cheaper MSRP, and has very similar performance. Two notable improvements for the E55 are: 8-hour recording time, instead of 6, at EP speed, and DVD-Audio (2-channel only) playback.

Originally Posted by chas0039
    Be aware that any attempt to use DVD-RAM to record and edit later is very limited on the E-50 and very time consuming to convert to a standard format on a PC.
    Don't really understand what you mean by " to use DVD-RAM to record and edit later is very limited on the E-50"? The DVD-VR recording mode used on DVD-RAM discs is the most advanced and flexible among all available DVD recording methods, its main drawback is its incompatibility with most DVD players. This is why anyone who wants the flexibility of the DVD-VR mode, but also wants compatibility with other players without using a computer should consider a DVD recorder with a hard disk.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This is why anyone who wants the flexibility of the DVD-VR mode, but also wants compatibility with other players without using a computer should consider a DVD recorder with a hard disk.
    Or get a DVD-RAM reader for the PC, open the .VRO file (on DVD-RAM from the Panny) with any of the newer authoring or editing programs, and away you go.
    Quote Quote  
  6. For comments, just read left column, dvd writersm should be there, used to be under dvd recorders...or search the board for e50.....or e55

It's a great machine but only use the right media & you're all set. I use Accu media (1x), about $60/100 at meritline with 100% success. For dvdram I suggest panasonic as they are compatible, but Imation also works on my machine 100 % & I have recorded a thousand of times on one disk & its still working.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I was not minimizing the quality of DVD-RAM but was referring to exactly what you mentioned above, no hard drive. As well, it always has taken me quite some time to open the .VRO file, edit AND convert to a DVD-R for playback elsewhere. I sure there are software packages that will do it faster; maybe I am going through extra steps but I can't get a Panasonic player to recognize a .VRO file that is just copied (with the other two files as well) to a DVD-R.

I would certainly welcome anyone who can correct me and simplify my transfer from DVD-RAM to DVD-R.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Great recorder if you want to transfer old vhs tapes to dvd. The panasonic uses a powerful tbc that will correct problems in the picture that you won't be able to do with any other piece of equipment. Sony also advertises a tbc in their units but it actually adds to the problem rather than fixes it. I doubt your low end brands will be any better. However I have to give the panasonic somewhat low marks for those that want to record anything from satellite or cable. Recordings produce these weird off color streaks that come vertically down the picture. These are barely noticeable unless against certain backgrounds. Sony's picture quality which is probably considered the best produces a slight darker picture with a little more "grain" but is much more preferable to streaks in my opinion. However the price difference is not worth it. In terms of affordability the Panasonic wins hands down. I've never tried the jvc which is similiar in price but I read some horrible reviews.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Target has the E50 on Clearance and Panny DVD-RAM. As of yesterday most stores have it for 50% off original price. They may make it to 75% off if they aren't sold out by then. I believe the clearance price was $224.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by biznutch
    Target has the E50 on Clearance and Panny DVD-RAM. As of yesterday most stores have it for 50% off original price. They may make it to 75% off if they aren't sold out by then. I believe the clearance price was $224.
    Grab it. That's a great price for an excellent machine
    Quote Quote  
  11. They pretty much had to drop the price that low with the E-55 at $298. I am certainly glad I got mine at $225 a month ago. I would kick myself to have spent $400 and have the price dop this low just days after the 30 day price protection.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Producing a compatible DVD from a DVD-RAM recording from the VR_MOVIE.VRO-file on a PC is really simple:
    1. Demultiplex the VR-MOVIE.VRO-file with TMPGEnc, Project-X, ds.jar etc. directly from the DVD-RAM-capable drive.
    2. Use IfoEdit to produce the DVD-structure von the video- and audio-stream-files.
    3. Burn the VIDEO_TS-folder as DVD-video with Nero.

Thats it!
    Every step takes about 30-40 minutes each (2x-burning).

LP-resolution (352x576) is good enough for old PAL-VHS-recordings.
    SP- and especially XP-resolution hardly deviates compared to DVB-recordings, provided the input video-quality is superb.
    (Experience drawn from an E30-recorder)
    CU

Schmendrick
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought an E55 a couple of weeks ago - my first standalone recorder. Have done about 30 discs so far, transferred from old VHS tapes, and it works a treat. Very happy with it, especially the Flexible Recording mode. I don't think I would ever buy another recorder in the future that didn't have this feature.

Only two gripes so far with the E55: first is that the startup time is poor. Pressing the power on button goes into a "Self Check" that takes 5-10 seconds, then it takes at least another 10 seconds to recognise the disc. If you were planning to quickly record what you are watching, you'd miss about 15-20 seconds of it. If that could be improved, it'd be nice.

Second gripe is that the E55 seems very fussy about recognising DVD-R discs. It's never completely failed to accept one so far, but it often takes 2 or 3 attempts and ejects before it will accept the disc. I've used Ritek G04s (unbranded and Datasafe, both bought from SVP here in the UK). My Limit 9900 player has no trouble reading the discs.

All in all, an excellent first purchase for me. Now if only I hadn't bought a Pioneer 105 last year, and waited for the 107 which would read RAM discs...
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Schmendrick
    Producing a compatible DVD from a DVD-RAM recording from the VR_MOVIE.VRO-file on a PC is really simple:
    1. Demultiplex the VR-MOVIE.VRO-file with TMPGEnc, Project-X, ds.jar etc. directly from the DVD-RAM-capable drive.
    2. Use IfoEdit to produce the DVD-structure von the video- and audio-stream-files.

Thats it!
    Every step takes about 30-40 minutes each (2x-burning).

LP-resolution (352x576) is good enough for old PAL-VHS-recordings.
    SP- and especially XP-resolution hardly deviates compared to DVB-recordings, provided the input video-quality is superb.
    (Experience drawn from an E30-recorder)
    CU

Schmendrick
    Alternative Way :

1.) Transfer the contents of the DVD-RAM disk to your hard drive
    2.) Open TMPGEnc DVD Author and Select 'Open Disk'
    3.) Edit if needs be within TDA
    4.) Let TDA create your DVD-Video folder
    5.) BURN BABY BURN!!!

DJT
    Quote Quote  
  15. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I found a bothersome feature on my E50 last night. It failed to record at the time called for. "L1" appeared on the display, but it wouldn't open the drawer. Repeated attempts showed "OPEN" or "CLOSE" on the display, but no attempt by the unit. After repeated power-downs and power-button resets, I finally got the disc out by removing the cover and manually operating the spindle retract. For some reason they don't put the little emergency drawer release hole on these units :P

It's really annoying that the drawer open button is not a hard-wired high-priority function.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Schmendrick

Thats it!

Schmendrick
    Thanks, that is what I have been doing and while you are right, it is simple, it just takes way too much time considering I already spent 2+ hours getting it onto the RAM disc in the first place and all I really want is a copy.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was the one that started this thread so I want to thank everyone for their input and wanted to share my purchase experience with you. The Saturday prior to my post I went into Best Buy to check out the E55. Well right next to the E55's they just happened to have an E80 that was priced at $449. I talked to one of the store managers and explained that I had read on the AVS forum that some people had purchased them for $349 from their local Best Buy. He wasn't impressed and told me the best they would do is knock off 10% which would have put it at $400. I was of course disappointed, since I had a specific budget I was determined to stick to, and went back to my original plan which was to check out the E55. I left the store with what information I could get and went home to do some net searching for info on the E55. Couldn't find much which is why I posted here on Monday. About 5 minutes after I made the post I went to the Best Buy website and noticed that the E55 was on sale for $314. That pushed me over the fence and I decided to go ahead and give the E55 a shot. I figured the worst that could happen was I might have to return it. Well lo and behold when I got to the store they had marked the same E80 down to $379. This time I got a very areeable salesman who knocked off another $50 and I walked out with the E80 for $329.00. What a difference 2 days can make. So far it works like a charm and I'm a happy camper. The only down side was that it didn't have a remote but my Kameleon learning remote took care of that problem. Downloaded and printed the E80 pdf manual, stuck it in a 3 ring binder and now I'm set. Thanks for taking the time to read my long post and I hope some of you get lucky like I did. There are some deals to be had!

Later, Dan
    Run for the Life of it!
    Quote Quote  
  18. NO REMOTE? was it a demo??
    thats not good...
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by musher70
    NO REMOTE? was it a demo??
    thats not good...
    It was a display model but not the demo. They still had an E80 and E60 demo unit up and running in the store with a video camera and a portable dvd player hooked to them. I am a frequent visitor to the store and have looked at the demo setup many times. The demo unit hasn't changed since I first saw it. They have stickers all over the demos and the tray on the E80 had a scratch on it. The unit I picked up doesn't have a mark. They had to find a power cord so that we could test it and it immediately went through its startup sequence. I'm going to run it through the mill over the next 30 days just to see how it holds up, but so far every function has performed flawlessly. I called Panasonic and they assured me my warranty is just as good a boxed model. I may still take out an extended warranty if I can find a reasonable one. Considering online retailers are selling this unit for $517 to $699, I think it was worth the risk. If I get a good year out of it at the price I paid I'll be happy. I originally was considering a non-HDD unit to save $$$ because I plan on purchasing a 5.1 recorder as they surface and the dust settles. Since I saved so much $$$ on the E80 it will be easier for me to justify buying a second. Life is full of risks and I just took one!

Later, Dan
    Run for the Life of it!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by musher70
    NO REMOTE? was it a demo??
    thats not good...
    I purchased an open box demo E80 from CC for $300 and haven't had any problems with it. The only piece of equipment that is not used/open box in my setup is my HDTV.
    Quote Quote