VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm looking to buy a bluray player...but I want it to play MKV & DIVX/XVID from a USB port plus have WiFi for Netflix streaming. I've looked at quit a few but they have 1 or 2 of the features I'm looking for but not all. Any suggestions from the experts out there. of which there are many.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The LG BD670 has everything you want. It's a bit picky about which files it plays though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If when you say "from a USB port" you mean to use a disk drive rather than a USB stick, please be sure that your USB enclosure has its own power source. We get posts all the time people having problems playing external disk drives via USB ports and those problems often go away when they switch to powered enclosures. The USB ports provided on most devices have very little power and they don't have enough to power some of today's larger disk drives.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Oh, I'm not sure if the BD670 supports NTFS. I've never tried it. I usually play files off Windows shares via wired ethernet.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Oh, I'm not sure if the BD670 supports NTFS.
    The BD670 supports NTFS.
    What exactly is rotten in Denmark?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would be playing from a stick not a hard drive through the USB input. NTFS is not really important as my thumbdrives are not, except one 16GB.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You'll need to have the drives be NTFS if you want to play any file roughly 4GB or larger, though.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Current Samsungs can do that too. Bought one for a friend during a recent Wal-Mart sale for $35. It plays almost every MKV they have tried (some have header compression problems but that can be fixed easily), Xvid avis, AVCHDs, etc. The MKVs and avis play through the media port on flash drives and powered hard drives. Only down side is the remote is slow to respond sometimes. Oh yes, it also plays Netflix just fine. They like that since they no longer have to hook the desktop up to the TV to use as a media player.
    Quote Quote  
  9. There's both a Samsung and Sony Bluray player in this house. I'm pretty sure both will do what you want, however the Samsung doesn't support anamorphic MKV/MP4s (it assumes square pixels) whereas the Sony player does. I think the Sony player also provides a better picture, although both players will play pretty much anything thrown at them.

Keep in mind that due to Cinavia copy protection, a Bluray player might no longer be the ideal multimedia player. Any backups of discs containing Cinavia might not be playable, even in MKV/MP4/AVI format. Unless you can find a Bluray player which doesn't yet include Cinavia and you're happy to never update it's firmware so as not to infect it with Cinavia, you might have to look at a different type of media player for MKV/MP4/AVIs etc.
    Cinavia became mandatory for Bluray players back in February, although manufacturers probably aren't obligated to include it in models which were current at the time (only models released from Feb onwards) however there's a very good chance new firmware for current players will include Cinavia. Sony (if this link works) are at least good enough to advertise their firmware contains Cinavia. http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-home.pl?mdl=BDPS380&LOC=3#/downloadTab
    Quote Quote  
  10. Just to confirm the LG BD670 will play (H264) MKVs from an NTFS external (powered) 2 TB hard drive. The largest files I've tried have been over 20 GB. These are MKVs made with BDRB and are uncropped; haven't tried anything else.

Works well enough, and although you can't jump chapters, you can hit search and move the slider (with left/right arrows) to find a spot on the timeline. Navigating the hard drive to find what you want is a little slow. I can pop in a backup on a BDR and have the movie playing more quickly that way.

I suspect a media player would be more suitable, but confess I don't have one. I connect my hard drive directly to my TV and use the built-in player, which is much snappier to navigate and overall easier to use. (The media player in my LG 65LW6500 seems to be the exception that proves the rule that inbuilt media players suck).

Nevertheless, it seems the BD670 would do what the OP is asking. It's got WiFi and SmartTV, and recognizes my network, but I don't use it. Oh yeah, it plays 3D Blu-Rays, which is why I got it. Picked it up for a bit over $100 bucks at Amazon.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    phillips bdp 3406/f7
    Quote Quote