VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use Panasonic HD cameras. The quality is good on the SD cards but after using Visual AVCHD the picture, in places, becomes distorted. It looks like colours are running into each other
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    "HD" is nothing but a marketing term. My old iPhone 5S says 1080p HD video.
    This is not a solution or a crack.....just a reminder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Visual AVCHD Timestamp (is this what you're referring to?) always re-encodes and degrades the picture. In some cases even changing the frame rate.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    smrpix
    Yes I use that date and time stamp and the picture is distorted badly in places.
    Alan
    Quote Quote  
  5. That tool is inherently destructive. A non-destructive method is to create subtitles from your time stamp as a separate file with tools like https://www.videohelp.com/software/Time-and-Date-Subtitle-Generator

It may or may not suit your needs depending on how you intend to use the files.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    smrpix
    Thanks for that. I have tried to get the software downloaded but it is coming up that I need Express Zip which has apparently expired, I didn't know I had it. Is there another way top have a look at it?
    Cheers
    Alan
    Quote Quote  
  7. Try 7-zip. It's free. Donate if you like it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Alan McGowan View Post
    smrpix
    Yes I use that date and time stamp and the picture is distorted badly in places.
    Alan
    The obviously follow up question is why do you need it.

Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do PI work and the clients require all footage to be date and time stamped as part of the evidential chain
    Quote Quote  
  10. By using Visual AVCHD Timestamp you are literally destroying the chain of evidence by re-encoding the video. "Subtitled" timestamps or players that can read the timestamp from the source are a much better option.

(Of course, both sides and the judge can agree that the altered version is admissable.)
    Last edited by smrpix; 28th May 2015 at 11:11.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search PM
    I do PI work and the clients require all footage to be date and time stamped as part of the evidential chain
    Well, just saying but putting in timestamps after recording is obviously not evidence and could even be considered tampering if presented as if the timestamp was put in during recording by the camera.

Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought the Visual AVCHD took the date and time from the batch file on the recording which was built into the footage but just not displayed until it was brought up by the date and time stamp. Any other programme which helps with the quality of the footage would be welcomed.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I've explained how Visual AVCHD timestamp works twice above. You can get more information on their website.

The simplest solution is to use a player that can display the embedded timestamp (subtitles) in the original files without touching the content at all. MPC-HC works with Sony and JVC files. I assume it will work just as well with canon and panasonic (but I don't have any to test.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	title1.png
Views:	310
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	31940
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Well, just saying but putting in timestamps after recording is obviously not evidence and could even be considered tampering if presented as if the timestamp was put in during recording by the camera.

If you can establish professional/expert credentials, ensure valid chain-of-evidence, and carefully & completely describe the procedure, burning in should NOT be considered FALSE evidence. If, however, quality of evidence is paramount, it makes more sense to turn the timestamp into a sub that can be overlayed during realtime playback rather than to burn in & re-encode.

@newpball, unless you have done forensic work (as I have), you're treading on thin ice with your comments.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But what's to stop someone from intentionally burning in incorrect timecodes and presenting it as evidence contrary to actual fact? I would say that burning in timecodes would raise a red flag or two.

But then I'm no Lawyer....
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    But what's to stop someone from intentionally burning in incorrect timecodes and presenting it as evidence contrary to actual fact? I would say that burning in timecodes would raise a red flag or two.
    Of course it would! A good technical expert on the other side will shred it to pieces!

DO NOT RE-ENCODE OR TRANSCODE FORENSIC EVIDENCE, NO EXCEPTIONS!

That something so dreadfully obvious still is under discussion here is, frankly, baffling to me.

Re-encoding or transcoding evidence is like washing gloves:

Last edited by newpball; 28th May 2015 at 22:12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Clearly you have not had to testify and/or present evidence.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    (Duplicate)
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guys
    I appreciate your input. So far I have had no issues from cross-examination on my practices though their defence has not been to do with the dates and times more to do with the actions of my team, but thats for another day. My issues to date are that the quality of footage was being distorted through using the Visual AVCHD.
    smrpix suggested MPC-HC. This looks a good option, are there any other practical suggestions?
    Quote Quote