VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Iīm recording HDTV and the resulst are fine. However, sometimes I discover glittering in the videofile, in very few seconds.
    Itīs a pain in the a** when watching it. So here is my question: Is there any software that can pick up the glittering and give me warnings, and maybe show me where, in the videofile the glittering is? So I wouldnīt have se the whole movie, to discover it?
    Thanks...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    What is "glittering"? Do you have a sample video to inspect?

I'd suspect brief compression artefacts due to limited bandwidth; but facts over fiction.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for my english With glittering I meen pixelation, or pixel error. Like on the image. It would be so much easier if a program could do this for me, so I wouldnīt have to spend 2 hours, looking the movie through.
    I know some programs can do this, but they are not freeware! Like TS-Doctor.Name:  369737.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  11.1 KB
    Last edited by bagmand; 24th Jul 2015 at 02:15.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Iīm not looking for a solution to prevent pixelation in my question, just an easy way to discover it
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    This looks indeed like decoding errors. Possibly a broken video bitstream due to low signal quality or brief interruptions (imagine a bird passing your LNB).

I am not sure how to deal with this. Most video decoders will try to return a decoding result without crashing if possible, even if it may contain some previous content in case of a decoding error; you would possibly need a decoder which will not crash but instead signal an error state so that e.g. VirtualDub's feature "Scan for video errors" would record them. But I have no clue if any AviSynth decoder would be able to behave accordingly.

Your best bet may be ffprobe, it should report decoding errors in its console output. But you may get a lot of errors even if you won't spot any issues visually.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot. Will try.
    Quote Quote  
  7. If the problem was in the broadcast (for example, satellite reception in bad weather) there will be no errors in your re-encoded file. The blocks are now part of the picture.
    Quote Quote