VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I'm looking to buy a BOXX apex 4 workstation and need advice on the configurations. I work mainly with compositing vfx and motion graphics for TV commercials and use After Effects for most of my tasks. My most used plugins are the Trapcode family, Element 3d and Red giant Magic Bullet family. My company wants to be able to work with RAW footage,possibly 4k and also with 360VR compositing.
    My budget is around 16K us and I've configured an apex 4 7901 as follows:

2x 8 cores xeon E5-2630
    128GB (16GBx8) DDR4-2133 Quad-Channel
    1 SSD 180GB intel 535 (for OS and programs)
    1 SSD 480GB intel 535 (for cache)
    1 SSD 800GB intel S3510 (for current projects)
    1 4TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200rpm (for temporary storage)-other backups will be storaged in external drives in RAID 1 setups
    2 GeForceTitanX 12GB

So my question is, if I'm getting the best out of this for my needs and if not what would be wise to do? I'm very newbie when it comes to tech talk so please bare with me!
    This is going to be the all tasks workstation (design,editing,3D CGI etc) so is it well balanced for that?

Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to help me out!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I won't spend a lot of time on my reply because I can't tell if this is a serious question or not. But, you are getting taken for a ride AFAIAC. You have 3 SSDs and not a single one is an Intel 750 pcie ssd. LGA 2011 v3 has 40 PCIe lanes. With dual TitanX's, you have 8 lanes available, enough for two Intel 750 ssd's. Plus I wouldn't buy those dual Xeon's when a single i7-5960X is arguably faster. Also, cpu/gpu are more critical for video than RAM (which I sincerely hope is ECC). So if you are stuck with Xeon, I would scale back to 64 GB and go with a better Xeon that stays within your budget. Also consumer cards (even TitanX) do not fully support 10-bit. I would think a production facility working with 4K and RAW content would demand 10-bit support. And last but not least, a single wimpy 4TB SATA drive for storage? What's the point of that?

Just my 2 cents.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Andre_Monteiro The membership here is mostly amateurs, myself included. There are only a few video professionals on this website who may work in an environment that uses real workstations for video production, and SameSelf is not one of them. He is in no way qualified to advise you on this, but for some reason he believes he knows a great deal more than he does. He was just recently asking some fairly basic questions related to Blu-ray authoring with consumer software and is thrilled to death with the quality from the 4K camera on his smart phone.

My advice is find a forum with more video pros who use real workstations and ask them about what you need.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Apr 2016 at 13:14.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    @Andre_Monteiro The membership here is mostly amateurs, myself included. There are only a few video professionals on this website who may work in an environment that uses real workstations for video production, and SameSelf is not one of them. He is in no way qualified to advise you on this, but for some reason he believes he knows a great deal more than he does. He was just recently asking some fairly basic questions related to Blu-ray authoring with consumer software and is thrilled to death with the quality from the 4K camera on his smart phone.

My advice is find a forum with more video pros who use real workstations and ask them about what you need.
    Thank you very much for your reply. I felt that by the arrogant tone. I found other resources for my question and was answered accordingly.
    By the way that's very funny lol!
    Quote Quote