VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am creating a DVD and I have HD 50p footage that I have exported losslessly from Premiere Pro using the lagarith codec. I am quite new to avisynth but I came across this script on here and it seems to give me pretty good results. I was hoping you guys might help me tweak it a little!

AviSource("source.avi")
    ConvertToYV12()
    Spline36Resize(720,576)
    Blur(0,0.5)
    ColorMatrix(mode="Rec.709->Rec.601",clamp=0)
    AssumeTFF().SeparateFields().SelectEvery(4, 0, 3).Weave()

I am still getting a bit of horizontal line flickering. Is the best way to combat this turning the blur up from 0.5? Are there any other filters I could apply to help with the process from HD to SD?

Also, my DVD is going to be replicated, I'm just wondering what the highest bitrate is I can get away with? I'm currently using a max of 9Mb/s but I've seen lots of debate about going higher. I don't want to compromise its compatibility with older players. THANKS!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Blur before resizing, not after. Blur(0.3, 0.2) would work, but you should experiment. Sometimes an anti-aliasing filter like Santiag might be needed before resize, or after. It depends on the video. If sharpening is needed (not always), do it after resizing.

9Mb/s max should be plenty, but remember that the total max includes audio bits, too. The max rule when older players were around was ~8Mbps.

I think the term is "line twitter", not "line flicker".
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Blur before resizing, not after. Blur(0.3, 0.2) would work, but you should experiment. Sometimes an anti-aliasing filter like Santiag might be needed before resize, or after. It depends on the video. If sharpening is needed (not always), do it after resizing.

9Mb/s max should be plenty, but remember that the total max includes audio bits, too. The max rule when older players were around was ~8Mbps.

I think the term is "line twitter", not "line flicker".
    Great! Thank you for your response, I'll experiment and see what works! What would I need to add to my script for sharpening?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You shouldn't need to blur at all - the resizing does add a form of blurring anyway (well, depending upon which algorithm you use).
    Also, IIWY, I'd only change to YV12 near the end (after the downsize) - you want the color channel to be as accurate as possible before it is fixed as subsampled, and downsizing after subsampling will mess it up further.

So I would try changing it to:
    Code:
    BlahBlahSource ("MyFile.vid").AssumeFPS ("pal_double")
    Spline36Resize (720,576)
    #Blur (0,0.5) - if necessary
    ColorMatrix (mode="Rec.709->Rec.601",clamp=0)
    AssumeTFF().SeparateFields().SelectEvery(4, 0, 3).Weave()
    #Sharpen(blah, blah) - only if really necessary
    Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 15th Jul 2015 at 20:01.
    Quote Quote