VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Sorry if this is the wrong section.

I'm having bad audio issues and I need someone knowledgeable to kindly take a look. There's no sound that the mic should be picking up to cause this so I'm at a loss.

Example of issue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omJeBUfz2FI

Thank you so much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hard to tell since I'm listening to this on my tablet tonight.
    Could be comb filtering/phasing from multiple sound sources with varying delays.

Please explain your record & edit setup in detail, including equipment, placement, settings, levels.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Multimedia storyteller bigass's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thoughts:
    - on the white noise, check your gain settings. I wouldn't expect the Snowball to have that much self-noise. Are you recording at a low level and boosting/normalizing later? When recording, aim to peak as close to 0db without going over. If you're adding more than about 6db of gain after the fact, try harder to get it right on the way in.
    - raise the mic up off the desk. Find a stand or something. Having the mic right on the desk will give you an artificially boomy low-end.
    - reflections from the desk and the walls are making your audio sound worse than it has to. Try positioning the mic closer to you and further away from the walls and other reflective surfaces. Ideally, put up some treatment to deaden the room reflections.

Also -- does it sound nice going in, but crappy once it's recorded? If so, review your recording settings.

But if it always sounds bad in all rooms at all levels on all machines, it's the mic.

I'll be happy to chime in with more as we get more detail added to the story.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Multimedia storyteller bigass's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Also, looking at the Snowball's specs, if you're using it for speech and narration, switch to cardioid pickup pattern instead of omnidirectional. You only want to record what's right in front of the mic -- you.

Monitor through headphones, not your speakers.

And ensure you have other microphones turned off.

Most of that, you're probably doing already.
    Quote Quote