VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys
    This is my 1st post in this forum .
    I am having few question related to conversion of Dolby Digital AC3 and DTS Tracks .
    I am novice in this field , I have tried to search topics related to my query but didn't find any satisfactory response.
    Please read my topic at the fullest and try to help me out

What I have :

1. PC
    2. Sony Home theater System ( Supports DD DTS etc ) (supports AVI (Xvid) and MP4(MPEG-4) in USB Mode
    3. LG HDTV (42")

What I want :

1. To convert a video/movie(mkv) with 6 channel audio [DTS/DD 5.1 ] in AVI or MPEG-4 so that my HT can play (without quality loss)
    2. Don't want to lose the authenticity/surround effect during conversion

So far I was using Simple video converters like AVS, Leawo,Any video converter , WinxHD ,Xilisoft etc ( tried almost 70% of the total market )
    but the problem arises when the audio is converted in AC3 (ac3 to ac3) and the 6 channel surround effects gets vanished .
    Also tried to extract the dts and ac3 track from the video but don't find any porgram to mux them in mp4(with MPEG4 codec H264 is not supported )
    I am avoiding to encode mkv to avi as the video conversion is super slow even using CUDA (Correct me if I am wrong )
    I know about Avimux-GUI but as I already said *I am avoiding avi*
    P.S. : If you guys can do this conversion faster then I will go for AVI

What I usually do was simply adding the mkv track in the video converter, converting it to mp4(mpeg 4 ) and choose audio to 5.1 channels ac3
    The video conversion is completed within 20 minutes and the quality is acceptable , but the audio gets crapped and all the 5 speakers sounds same without any surround effect, Bass gets also distorted .

After reading all this please guide me to convert/mux/demux a mkv track into mp4/avi in less time without losing the audio quality and effect .
    Also tell me appropriate programs to achieve that

Thanx and regards ,
    Hoping for positive response
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It will be great if you suggest me Fastest video converter ( preferably mkv to avi/mp4 ) which uses CUDA Acceleration
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe mediacoder.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tried medicoder but facing errors ..
    Can u please elaborate ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Pretty sure you can't put AC3 or DTS audio into an MP4, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

You can put them into AVI iirc, certainly AC3 will go using VirtualDubMod

Your problem will likely be the video though, MPEG4 XviD etc will go into an AVI but not H264.

A more versatile format is transport stream (.ts) or .m2ts thats if your TV will play them. If you're limited to MP4 then I'd probably transcode the audio to AAC, unless the video is XviD/DivX in which case I'd mux to to AVI keeping the original audio. If you get no sound in AVI with DTS audio then transcode to AC3.

You need to find the codec etc information for the movie you're talking about using MediaInfo
    Last edited by Chug a Bug; 20th Nov 2012 at 06:17.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay Now I am able to extract dts file and convert to ac3 ..
    I used megui and was able to mux the audio track(ac3) in mp4 file .. It was playing smoothly in VLC but when I put the file to Home theater , only video was playing and no audio was there.
    After this I used Avi mux gui , I was able to mux the ac3 track into xvid video and it played well ( DD5.1 was untouched and original)
    But now my problem is converting mkv files in avi{Xvid) . It is taking too long time to convert ( used AVS , mediacoder, Leawosoft )
    So please provide me a faster converter which supporting GPU acceleration .
    Shareware are also accepted .
    Quote Quote  
  7. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Chug a Bug View Post
    Pretty sure you can't put AC3 or DTS audio into an MP4, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
    As you wish, sir.

MP4Box is able to wrap AC3 in MP4.
    L-Smash's muxer and remuxer can wrap DTS in MP4.
    Quote Quote  
  8. ^ Ah right, thanks for clearing that up. I guess it's because my PS3 and MP3 player refuse to play anything other than AAC in MP4.

Originally Posted by new93 View Post
    But now my problem is converting mkv files in avi{Xvid) . It is taking too long time to convert ( used AVS , mediacoder, Leawosoft )
    So please provide me a faster converter which supporting GPU acceleration .
    Shareware are also accepted .
    Its sounds like it's trancoding to me, it should just be a quick remux if source is XviD. I'd use Avidemux myself, just select video and audio copy, output as AVI.

Post your source file info from MediaInfo
    Last edited by Chug a Bug; 20th Nov 2012 at 07:56.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But source in mkv movies/videos is h.264 I guess ...
    Quote Quote  
  10. If you have to trancode the video in an entire movie it's going to take some time, depending on the specs of your system. I'd reckon on a couple of hours at least.

H264 will mux straight into MP4 and if you mux AC3 audio into it as El Huggunte states and if the audio will play on your TV, you're there (apart from the 4GB filesize limit that is) If not I'd transcode the audio rather than the video, but I guess thats up to you.
    Last edited by Chug a Bug; 20th Nov 2012 at 09:03.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am now able to transcode video using mediacoder as stated by Baldrick
    Now I simply mux the ac3 track into transcoded video file .
    My Home theater is supporting it and Dolby Digital surround is preserved
    Thank you so much for replying and resolving my query .
    Quote Quote