VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all, I want o convert DAT to AVI but I don't know algorithm. Who can help me?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What sort of DAT? If you mean one from a VCD or SVCD, that's a MPEG-1 or MPEG-2. You can drop it into MediaInfo and it will tell you the actual format or codec it uses. If you don't have the rest of the VCD/SVCD, just change the extension from .DAT to MPEG, then you can convert it to a AVI type format. AVI is just the name of the container, not a format. There are many, many types of AVI. But I'm guessing Divx or Xvid?

More information would help considerably, or we are just guessing.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    beaten to it by redz

--
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    What sort of DAT? If you mean one from a VCD or SVCD, that's a MPEG-1 or MPEG-2. You can drop it into MediaInfo and it will tell you the actual format or codec it uses. If you don't have the rest of the VCD/SVCD, just change the extension from .DAT to MPEG, then you can convert it to a AVI type format. AVI is just the name of the container, not a format. There are many, many types of AVI. But I'm guessing Divx or Xvid?

More information would help considerably, or we are just guessing.

And welcome to our forums.
    Thanks for usefull information. So I will follow you to convert DAT to MPEG, then Convert MPEG to AVI?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You don't have to convert it to MPEG, it's already MPEG, just in a DAT container. Changing the extension is one way to have converters recognize it as a MPEG. Just rename your video, such as 'movie.dat' to 'movie.mpg', then convert it to AVI type format.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Except that doesn't usually work perfectly. It's better to do a proper conversion from DAT to MPG using something like VCDEasy. If you don't do it correctly you're liable to get random corruption here and there. Using the free version of VCDEasy, you go Tools->MPEG Tools->DAT File and take it from there.
    Quote Quote