VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have just encountered a problem. I use PowerDVD to watch HD-DVD's on my PC, using the XBox 360 drive

For some reason, I can no longer get vdeo to play. The audio and menues work fine tho!!

Anyone have any ideas as to why this might be?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Tried reinstall powerdvd?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, still doesnt work. Have tried different HD-DVDs aswell. Normal DVDs work fine though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check for powerdvd updates. It is updated regularly and the high def discs and bluray require them to keep working on a computer.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Updating PowerDVD probably will not help. They removed HD DVD support from recent versions. Do a web search on it and you'll find details on the somewhat painful way to re-enable it. If you upgraded PowerDVD right before this started happening, that's why.

If you did not update PowerDVD, I have no idea why it would just stop working. I can tell you that PowerDVD's support of HD DVD was just awful. A movie might play fine on version 6.5, but not at all on version 7 or 7.1, or it might play on version 7 only, or only 6.5 and 7.1 and so on.
    If you did not tell us that you bought new HD DVDs and you've never tried to play these specific discs before, that's why it's not working. If you search P2P networks, you can find various versions of PowerDVD to install that support HD DVD. I would not normally encourage this type of thing, but PowerDVD brings it on themselves as you need to have at least versions 6.5, 7 and 7.1 to have any chance of being able to play HD DVDs on a PC. PowerDVD used to be a great program, but it's now a piece of crap. Version 6 is a million times better than anything that came out after it. For all I know you may just have some weird PowerDVD flakiness that nobody knows how to fix. You can try contacting them for help, but they aren't known for their great support and since they dropped HD DVD support from the current release, they may just tell you "It sucks to be you".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PowerDVD version 8 will no longer play HD-DVD's as Cyberlink removed support for it (due to HD-DVD losing the battle). However, there is still support for HD-DVD in PowerDVD version 7.

Ensure you have the latest update for version 7. I think the latest was version 7.3 before version 8 became available.

There is also a method to enable HD-DVD support in Version 8, just do a google search.
    Quote Quote