VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Im trying to make some H264 files for my PS3. I want them interlaced at 576 lines. When I encode them as progressive, it seems "slow", to me they must be interlaced.

However when I encode them as interlaced, when I play them on PS3, the video is jerky. Is there anything Im doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    anyone know?
    Jagabo, please do not reply to this post. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi-
    Is there anything Im doing wrong?
    Maybe you reversed the field order unintentionally? Who knows, as you've provided next to no information, and some of what you did provide was confusing. What's the source and exactly how did you convert it to H.264. I don't know anything about PS3s. Does it handle interlaced H.264 properly? And what does this mean:
    When I encode them as progressive, it seems "slow", to me they must be interlaced.
    They seem to play in slow motion? Or what? Does "must be interlaced" mean you think they're interlaced (you don't know?), or does it mean they should be encoded as interlaced? And if you can provide a small 10 second piece of the source, that might help as well.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I don't know about the PS3 but many devices don't handle interlaced MPEG4 ASP or AVC properly.

If by "jerky" you mean a very fast jerky (25 back and forth jerks per second during motion) then you have a field order issue. It could be that you flagged the wrong field order when you encoded or the PS3 is ignoring the flag. If the latter you can try reversing the field order (not the flag). The PS3 might then play it properly. Or you may find that the PS3 slips in and out of phase, sometimes with the right field order sometimes not.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    The problem is, PS3 wont play a interlaced MP4. It comes out as garbage. Progressive works fine but jerky. I can upload a 1 mins clip somewhere if you tell me where.
    Jagabo, please do not reply to this post. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Try here for file transfers:

http://www.sendspace.com/

Are you making MP4 files? I just discovered today that interlaced h.264 MP4 files have to report the interlaced field rate, not the frame rate. So 25 fps interlaced PAL material should be marked as 50 fps -- at least when making them with YAMB.
    Quote Quote