VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm using Premiere 6.5 and have got the basics under control. I am converting some analog VHS to DVD and came across some problems. Please tell me if this is the best approach.

I capture the file in mpeg (I think its mpeg2). from a Videoh! PCI card. Then take that file in MyDVD and save it as a AVI to edit in Premiere. Then output to .m2v and .wav files for Encore and author. Is this a good idea? Someone said my card is capturing in mpeg2 already??

But when I import the mpeg to Premiere I can't play it and scrub through it like I can with an AVI file. It jumps and stutters. You know what I mean? How are you guys doing it?

I tried TMPGEnc to edit the raw Mpeg file but I would like to use the advance features of Premiere instead. If I use TMPGEEnc I can't hear the sound as I clip it. Any advice would be really helpful.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi mallen,

I don't know your video card, but if it allows you to capture to AVI then that'd be much better. Then you can import that straight into to Premiere.

Better still would be if you capture to DV AVI - that's the native AVI format that Premiere uses and it won't have to render the whole footage - just any transitions etc.

From there, you have various methods available to get your MPEG2 for DVD.

Hope that helps...
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mpg files are not good in premiere. try capturing as avi uncompressed. I sometimes use mpegs but the larger they are the worse the jumping is and sometimes premiere will lock up , I am hard headed so I still try to edit mpg's. But only small ones.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It'd be nice if MainConcept's MPEG Pro plugin was affordable.

The trial works great at editing MPEG without the jumping.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Since my card won't capture in AVI then I will be forced to use TMPGEEnc and make rough edits there? I feel I am loosing quality when I convert to to AVI to edit in Premiere then convert back to MPEG. So you really should only use AVI files in Premiere?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So you really should only use AVI files in Premiere?
    Yes, it's primarily an .AVI editor...
    Although i haven't used the MainConcept Plugin myself.

As far as Mpeg editing goes, most people have talked about Womble from days of back when..
    Here's a few to look at. https://www.videohelp.com/tools?toolsearch=&Submit=Search&s=107&orderby=Name&hits=50&co...res=&listuser= .

But yes, if you were looking to edit video freely, then .AVI would be the correct choice..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mallen
    Since my card won't capture in AVI then I will be forced to use TMPGEEnc and make rough edits there? I feel I am loosing quality when I convert to to AVI to edit in Premiere then convert back to MPEG. So you really should only use AVI files in Premiere?
    I've checked the specs on your card as I found it hard to believe that it doesn't capture to AVI - I didn't distrust you, just found it surprising. And, true enough, MPEG1 & 2 only. Bummer!

Yes, you are losing quality my doing MPEG -> AVI -> MPEG.

What editing do you do in Premiere? If it's simple stuff like trimming clips (i.e. removing commercials) etc. then there's a (probable) way around it to avoid going to AVI.

If it's adding transitions and effects, then Premiere's the tool and AVI is needed before you got to MPEG.
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by mallen
    Since my card won't capture in AVI then I will be forced to use TMPGEEnc and make rough edits there? I feel I am loosing quality when I convert to to AVI to edit in Premiere then convert back to MPEG. So you really should only use AVI files in Premiere?
    Well of course you are loosing quality. You capped to a lossy format called mpeg. Then your converting it to AVI that prolly uses a codec rather than uncompressesed. In which case it will be a step more less quality. DV-AVI is also a lesser quality than a pure uncompressed AVI but its really not that noticeable except in certain circumstances.
    Despite Mpeg being an importable format It cannot handle mpegs properly. Why is that you may ask? Well you see video is basically a series of ACTUAL frames in a sequence. However MPEGS do not create ACTUAL frames. They mearly borrow portions of the previous frame and next frame to create the frame in the middle. Premiere was not designred to figure this out. YOu need a mpeg editor
    Quote Quote