VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was recording a video using my Lumia 520. Unfortunately it went off because of battery during recording.

When I finally retrieved the video from the phone it was neither playing with any player on the PC nor on the phone.

I checked the properties of the video under the details tab and there was no information at all. Not even the duration, bit-rate etc is there. The MP4 file is just above 500mb and was supposed to carry a very important video.

Is there a way to recover this video?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Typically, if the file recording is not completed properly, the file is garbage. Repair tools are typically for files that are damaged (ie: they did work, and something occurred which damaged the data), not files that were never properly created.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Depends on the recording method though. If it is like some, it lays down the raw stream first (after buffer) and then writes proper headers & packets when the recording is stopped. This could be recoverable (using methods I recently discussed in another thread).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. I might be able to repair your file.
    Just send me a private message if you still need to repair it....
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter View Post
    Typically, if the file recording is not completed properly, the file is garbage. Repair tools are typically for files that are damaged (ie: they did work, and something occurred which damaged the data), not files that were never properly created.
    I have no idea if it works, but the tool I cited claims to "recover H.264/AVC stream from unfinalized MP4/MOV files without (or empty) header. You may got the unfinalized file in case of damaging camcorder during recording or such." So it appears to be aimed at precisely the OP's scenario. Of course, if it works, there is still work to be done to extract the audio and remux.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Of course files that are not completed properly can be fixed!
    Analyze (remaining) data, rebuild header and you are done.
    And if you do it right , there is no need to remux audio.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by michaelbublat View Post
    And if you do it right , there is no need to remux audio.
    There is if you use the Recover MP4 to h264 tool.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't say it wasn't possible, and I don't know if that tool will work or not. I do know that I have seen numerous posts here (and other forums) where files that were not properly completed on phones and cameras could not be saved.

So if you guys can help, be my guest. I was just pointing out that it may not be possible.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i tried using Recover mp4 to h264 but it told me mp4.exe is not a valid windows/32 program or however its worded....i suck at command prompt but im trying and im assuming i entered the info right to get that message! i have a damaged MOV file i really want to get to work! all the other programs arent doing anyting for me so i feel i have to use stuff like command prompt hoping its going to do the job finally! i have hope! not easy though. man! but im getting their. very determined to do this!
    Quote Quote  
  11. suggestion: upload the 500mb corrupt video to place like
    https://mega.nz/
    so that others can try to repair it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
    i tried using Recover mp4 to h264 but it told me mp4.exe is not a valid windows/32 program or however its worded...
    Run the recover_mp4_x86.exe instead.

Edit: Don't have a clue if the program does anything good for you though, sorry about that.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well like i said in a different thread. i actually ran recover_mp4.exe first..but i heard about the h264 thinking it might be better..turns out that one was worse and the end part of the video was messed up and only a portion of the audio was saved in the seperate audio file..that doesnt matter though

cause i DID manage to seperate the streams properly with the recover_mp4 file before i saw your message even! now im trying to figure out how i get those two back together..FFMEG i think is my best bet for that but i dont know how to use it yet. :/ i heard of YAMB which i tried but the ADPCM audio isnt compatible with that program. so im at a stand still for now. if someone knows what to use that would greatly help me out! thats the hard part. trying to find what to do. took me 5 days to finally see about recover_mp4 and it took some screwing with to get me to do it all properly. blah!

then after i get this back together as a .MOV or i could go MP4 being its a more compatible container and it wont reencode everything i have a recording off mini disc i want to sync to it. so a lot of work on what i want to do! but for now i just have to find something so join the audio and video back together as a working properly .MOV or .MP4 file.

cheers guys! thanks a lot for your comments..its no fun doing this without a little help. daunting experiance :S but im driven to do it on this one so its gotta be done!
    Quote Quote