VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok so I have been given a burned DVD with a short film on it. It is in MPEG-4 format originally I have converted it to AVI Mp4 and nothing works on DVD players. It only works on you tube and any computer. It works in iTunes and windows media player. I have been using Nero 11 as my burn software.
    Any help on getting it to work on a DVD player would be GREAT! I have changed the region codes on the DVD player to 0 for all regions but still nothing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok so this is a file and not a video_ts folder with .vob files in it I take it?

You need to copy the original file that is on the dvd itself (the whatever.mp4 file) to your computer. Than use a program to convert it to dvd format and author it then burn it to disc.

You can use avstodvd to take the original .mp4 file and make a dvd with it. You can make a menu and add chapter points. It will make a video_ts folder on your harddrive from that file. From there you will burn the video_ts folder to a blank dvdr with the freeware program imgburn.

Use a good blank disc like taiyo yuden or verbatim (not the life series). Burn the video_ts folder with imgburn. Than you will be able to watch it like a regular dvd.

Please note if your dvd player is more than several years old you may need to pay attention to whether or not you use a - or + r disc. But that should only be with old dvd players (I'd say anything over 4-5 years and older MIGHT have that issue - really early dvd players will definitely have - or + r issues - it might even say what it can and can't play - otherwise its trial and error on an older dvd player). Any recent player shouldn't have an issue with - or + r.

Edit - this means that your dvd player does not support file playback. This is probably either a divx/xvid file or a h264 file - you can use gspot or mediainfo to identify the codec used. By converting it to a proper dvd structure you'll be able to play it on the dvd player.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. WOW ok ahhh a lot of lingo I haven't heard of but you seemed to make it pretty straight forward. My DVD players are recent so no worries there.
    So i will get started and hope it works TY very much for all that.
    Quote Quote  
  4. works fine on You Tube and I even tried to download it back to the computer and re convert it.
    As for the file I am assuming yes as that is what it comes up as but when opened nothing in it that is supported but I can send it to nero and burn it but nero won't recognize it if I go into nero and try to find it.
    Last edited by locorider; 21st May 2012 at 20:48.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by locorider View Post
    WOW ok ahhh a lot of lingo I haven't heard of but you seemed to make it pretty straight forward. My DVD players are recent so no worries there.
    So i will get started and hope it works TY very much for all that.
    Glad to help.

https://www.videohelp.com/glossary

That is a link to a glossary with the most common video tech terminology that we and others use.

https://www.videohelp.com/convert

https://www.videohelp.com/author

Those two links can also get you going. Please note converting changes a file format and authoring makes something into a proper playback format. AVSTODVD will both convert the file you have and author a dvd.

There are plenty of guides to avstodvd available and threads on this forum you can review if something doesn't seem to make sense. THere is also an avstodvd website.

Imgburn is pretty straightforward and if I remember right it can be integrated into avstodvd. But you can easily burn the folder after its created and you have closed avstodvd.

Feel free to post back if you run into something you are not sure about. But you can also do some searching if something specific like an error message or something pops up.

Good luck.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. ok so it turns out the format the original is in is divx ?
    I did burn it twice and both times it worked but in a static black and white. the sound is good the titles in the opening are good but the film it self is black and white no color?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    there are some DVD players that play divx, I personaly have an Oppo player which plays anything I throw at it, Another good one is Phillips, But I always use Convertxtodvd to convert my files to DVD format works great.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by locorider View Post
    ok so it turns out the format the original is in is divx ?
    I did burn it twice and both times it worked but in a static black and white. the sound is good the titles in the opening are good but the film it self is black and white no color?
    Ok so the original video is in color than I assume?

Did you process it in avstodvd or did you burn the divx file?

If you processed it in avstodvd and left everything in its default mode it should not have changed the picture at all except to make it into a dvd - which is the point.

You'll need to let us know what steps you did take.

And as tarzan54 did point out a lot of dvd players can play divx files. However it sounded like you tested the original file and it did not play - is that correct? If one of your players can play divx than all you have to do is burn the original file to dvdr as data then play it. However not all dvd players can play every type of divx files that can be created (there are many settings that can be manipulated and not all players like each setting).
    Quote Quote