VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. Normally, I split with either avidemux or boilsoft but both fail me with this file. (It loads OK with avidemux but crashes as soon as I press play.) Possibly my splitters just don't like big files, as this one is. Can anyone suggest an editor that could handle these file specs?

Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media
    Codec ID : isom
    File size : 3.17 GiB
    Duration : 1h 2mn
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 7 207 Kbps
    Writing application : Lavf52.93.0

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=30
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Duration : 1h 2mn
    Bit rate : 6 800 Kbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.109
    Stream size : 3.10 GiB (98%)
    Writing library : x264 core 107
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=2 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=2 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=0 / keyint=30 / keyint_min=16 / scenecut=0 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=30 / rc=abr / mbtree=1 / bitrate=6800 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=1 / qpmax=31 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.41 / aq=1:1.00

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    mkvmergeGUI has...
    Code:
    Global > Splitting > Enable splitting... > After this size/duration
    Quote Quote  
  3. Did you try avidemux 2.6 ? It handles AVC much better than earlier versions
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks, two good calls there. MKV is restrictive in that you don't have total control over the start/end points and avidemux 2.6 doesn't handle well with this file loaded but it does work. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  5. No freeware will give you frame accuracy over start/endpoints

videoredo beta, solveigmm video splitter
    Quote Quote  
  6. Noted. When I said 'total control' I didn't mean 'total control' (ahem...). With avidemux you have to start at a predetermined frame but can end on an exact frame. That's good enough for me. However, MKV doesn't seem to give good control of either end. But it does what it does and it'll do when all else fails.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by pooksahib View Post
    Noted. When I said 'total control' I didn't mean 'total control' (ahem...). With avidemux you have to start at a predetermined frame but can end on an exact frame. That's good enough for me. However, MKV doesn't seem to give good control of either end. But it does what it does and it'll do when all else fails.
    No you can't . You can only cut on keyframes in avidemux (start and end points). You might have "lucked out" that the end point was a keyframe in that case

All Long GOP compression formats limit you to not being able to pick the exact start or end frame - you can only cut on keyframes. Thus it's not frame accurate

"Smart Rendering" means the keyframes within the GOP of the cutsite are re-encoded , but the rest of the video is untouched. Thus you can have frame accurate start/end points . Videoredo and SolveigMM smart render AVC

vdub and avidemux can smart render mpeg4-asp (divx, xvid), but not other formats
    Quote Quote  
  8. Maybe we're at cross purposes here. With avidemux (which I use for avi and mp4) I always use the double-arrow keys when selecting Point A (the edit will fail otherwise). But I can stop playback WHEREVER I like and that will quite happily become Point B.
    Last edited by pooksahib; 25th Aug 2012 at 16:33. Reason: missed bracket
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by pooksahib View Post
    Maybe we're at cross purposes here. With avidemux (which I use for avi and mp4) I always use the double-arrow keys when selecting Point A (the edit will fail otherwise). But I can stop playback WHEREVER I like and that will quite happily become Point B.

Yes, the double arrow << and >> keys navigate by keyframes

You should check your older edits, because they probably have errors on the end - Point B won't be where you think it is unless you happened to be on a keyframe

But if your video used all keyframes (all I frames), then it doesn't matter where you cut (everyframe is a keyframe)
    Quote Quote