VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all hope i am posting this in the right place.
    i used Anydvd HD and Ripbot for the first time to back up one of my movies and while the quality was excellent its left out part a few subs through it, not many but forms part of the movie, (not just for different language)
    its on the original disc but when ripped to HDD its not picking up the subs, ive checked the biggest file for using in ripbot as you supose to but doesnt seem to be there either.

Any suggestions.

Many thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1) What are you using to view your rip? I.E. TMT, PowerDVD?
    2) Is this your first go at re-encoding Blu-Ray? What movie? The only time I've encountered anything like that it was a disc with PiP (picture-in-picture) and a complex structure.
    3) Try BDRB and see if you can duplicate the problem.
    4) Extract main movie first with, say, Clown_BD and see if the problem persists.

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ive viewed my rip using WMP, MP classic and even the PS3 and all show no subs.
    its is my first time but i did it by the book so to speak, the movie is avatar.
    ill try clown and see how i go.
    Quote Quote  
  4. AFAIK, there's no way to get WMP or MPC to display subs from a Blu-ray rip.

But I suspect the problem is the forced subs in Avatar. (You can get the same problem with District 9 and 2012 as well, to name just a couple.) This issue was reported on the BDRB bug report thread. Try setting the audio and subtitle language in your PS3 to English, not automatic or other language (if the PS3 has such options). Cycle the player off/on. Try playing your burned copy (hope you used ImgBurn only) on the PS3 and do *not* select any subs with your remote. See if it plays with the forced subs.

Please post back. If the above doesn't work, we can take it from there.

[EDIT] You picked a toughie for your first try. How about you try a different movie.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Ripbot isn't great with subs. You might run the BD rip through tsMuxeR first to pick the subs you want to keep. BDs can have many different subs, and languages, and the automatic setup of RB doesn't always find the ones you want.

To make it more difficult, some Science Fiction movies have subs for alien speakers and they may be arranged differently in the BD than normal 'earthling' subs.
    Quote Quote  
  6. After looking a bit further, it seems that there are firmware versions for the PS3 that have caused problems with subs. I would suggest you get the latest firmware.

In addition to the above and checking your player settings, when backing up Avatar you need to keep all English sub streams when re-encoding. So when using Clown_BD, you'd need to check all English subs before extracting the main movie. It will by default choose only the first one. I've only used RipBot a couple times, so I can't help with settings. But if you try BDRB you'd find it's hard to screw anything up in that way, and it's easy to re-enable any subs. Not assuming you did anything wrong, just saying.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the PS3 subs was already set to egnlish
    i downloaded a rip that someone else had done, a 4gig Blu-ray rip of the same movie and the subs work on that, just the picture quality not as good. and works on WMP & MPC i wonder how they have done it.
    maybe as redwudz has just posted they tsmuxed the subs out first before ripping it if thats possible to do from the disc.
    Quote Quote