VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm still running WIN98 (first edition) and I'm having a hard time figuring out which writers will work in WIN 98. I can see some that were certified with WIN98SE like the LITE ON, but there's no indication whether or not it will still work in WIN98 (FE), and the manufacturer hasn't been much help.

I'm leaning towards the Pioneer A05, but I can't tell if it supports WIN98FE, my other choice would be to move to a dual boot setup where I would continue running 98, but setup another partition running Win 2000. In this configuration could I still use the Pioneer as a DVD reader?, or would it be limited to a CDROM. Eventually I would migrate everything to the 2000 platform..

Also from what I've read since some software needs to create CUE/BIN files for creating the DVDR then 98 wouldn't be the best choice since FAT32 can't support files bigger than 4gb, so WIN 2000 would be better using an NTFS partition...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    before I get started, looking at your computer specs it looks like you have a pretty recent CPU - why do you need to remain with Win98FE?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had some IRQ conflicts that kept creeping up with WinXP, computer kept crashing randomly, so I went back to WIN98 (FE) which I had on hand, and had always been pretty stable for me.

I believe that I resolved the IRQ problems I was having, but never had any desire to move back to WIN XP since my system has been running great under 98.

My next move (if necessary) would be to go to Win 2k since I don't really care for the extras that were introduced in Win XP. So if an OS upgrade is necessary then I'd like to move to a dual boot operation until I get everything running stable under WIN 2k, then I'd eventually blow away the Win98 install, but in the interim I was wondering if the drive will run in WIN98 FE
    Quote Quote