VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I'm really a newbie in all this video editing stuff.

I downloaded a variety show episode twice, a raw .avi format and a hardsubbed .mp4 format. When i watched it, the HS quality

looks really worse than the raw. But because i haven't got the softsub of that episode, i really want to know if there is a way

to extract the subtitle from the mp4 hardsub and make a softsub out of it.

Please someone tell me if there really is a way to do it.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it's not possible...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps using SubRip. Take a look at this guide: http://zuggy.wz.cz/guides/video.htm

Let me know if this helps!
    Quote Quote  
  4. thanks for the advice..

I'm still working on it, i'll let u know if it works..

by the way, the subrip guide says that u you also need to have the appropriate codecs and filters installed. For example, to open DVDs, you need DGMPDec. how do i know what codecs and filters is installed already? and because i'm going to extract the sub from .mp4, what codecs and filters i need? and how do i install it if it's not installed yet?

actually, maybe i don't need the codec and filter for the mp4 cuz the subrip already have avisynth so i just need to convert my mp4 to avi and i'm doing it now, but i'm still curious about that codec and filter stuff so please help me on that..
    Quote Quote  
  5. hey it's actually working!!

now i can have my softsub although it's not easy . We have to do lots of manual labor to help it's image recognition work.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info. Never did this before, first I've heard of it. I've extracted text subs from bitmap-type subs using vobsub
    utilities and its a similar process - takes a long time and errors can easily creep in. Good luck with it !
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yeah, thanks.

It's my first time experiencing all this video stuff, i think it got lots of interesting stuff i still don't know about, just like this subtitling stuff.
    Quote Quote