VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am looking to invest in a high end video camera. I need something that records sound and picture in hd format and something that will have very sharp pictures, and good clean sound. I have been looking at the sony model link below. Any one know or have any info that will help me choose a good camera?

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProduc...rs-hero-HDRHC1

Thanks
    Travis
    Quote Quote  
  2. The Sony camera is "ok". It is shot in HDV format, which ins't a true HD format, it is close though.

JVC makes an HD camera, but it is only 1 chip, not 3 chip.

I would say, if you can wait until around Christmas time this year, Panasonic has the HVX100 coming out.

It is going to be very awesome, but can only shot HD to an external HD or P2 card. It has 24P and Variable speed for adjusting the framerate.

Check it out at DVXuser.com, there is a whole forum dedicated to it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what do you mean by 1 chip not 3 chip
    im a total nubie to this kind of stuff so you will have to spell it out for me..sorry!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Why HD? What are you going to shoot with it?

Audio--most onboard mikes aren't very high quality. If you want "high quality" audio, you would go with separate mike, mixer, etc and then feed that into the line level inputs (or digital input if you're lucky) of the camera.
    Or go double system and marry them later in post (not for consumer/hobbyist/prosumers).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    3chip=separate imaging chip for each color primary (Red, Green, Blue)
    1chip=single imaging chip, divided up in checkerboardlike fashion with filters in front of corresponding pixels (Red, Green, Blue, Green, repeat...)(aka Beyer pattern)

Because there is a beamsplitter involved in 3chip, good registration is critical or will get ghosting/smearing, also usually some loss of available light ability. (exception: "Foveon" chips)
    When done correctly, has better resolution and richer colors (not "averaged")

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    o ok... Ill be filming high speed racing footage.. from sprint car racing, to nascar, to drag racing, and then combining the footages into a presentation for school....The lighting will vary also, day time and night with the lighting from the track as the only sourch of light unless i have my own.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also remember that unless you can burn to blue ray or or other HD DVD format which as far as I know none of us yet have, you can only output to a file or to tape. If I am incorrect please correct me and I'll shoot on out to the store to buy one right now (yeah right)
    No DVD can withstand the power of DVDShrink along with AnyDVD!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so what cameras do you guys suggest me looking at? Since I can only produce an HD file and not a DVD I guess thats not that big of deal.

The big deal is the clarity, and the sound!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How much are you willing to $pend?

Try this website..

Quick reference..
    A CCD chip is like the "eyeball" of your camcorder..

Most consumer camcorders used a single CCD chip to gather infomation and put onto tape..The larger the CCD (1/6",1/4",1/3") the better the quality..
    3CCD chip cameras produce sharper contrast, and better detail, since Red, Green, and Blue get collected separately..But the downside is, you need lots of light..Ironically, the single CCD cameras tend to gather light information better...
    If you're serious about audio, then look at a camera that has XLR inputs, or in at least, use and XLR (Beachtek) adapter..

Ill be filming high speed racing footage
    So then a 3 chip camera, with lots of manual options will be important..(ie shutter speed, and iris control)..

the track as the only sourch of light
    In this case, you'd be better off with a single CCD camera, but if you learn manual techniques, then the 3 chip camera with full manual control can still be utilized..

The noise from the track will definately test your microphone limits..You'll definately need something to bring the volume down (attenuate), so that you don't get clipping in your audio..

In the end, you'll be happier with a camera that has great manual control, and a good picture quality, over the HDV hype that Sony is trying to sell..

Good luck shopping!!!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just got a couple of JVC GY-HD100u cameras. These are amazing for the sub $6000 price tag, feels like a real broadcast camera (3chip, removable lens, 720p 24-30-60p, real viewfinder, metal housing NOT plastic, XLR audio with phantom/mic/line, anton-bauer battery options). Keep in mind that all HD cams don't do as well in low light as SD (more pixels spliting same amount of light=dark pictures) but daylight footage is awesome. Indoor is adequate (barely), but nighttime looks to be pretty bad without additional light. I'll be shooting some drag racing next month at LVMS, but so far am VERY impressed with my purchase. Esp considering the next step up is another 40-50,000 dollars.

If you are just a hobbyist (with lots of cash...HD=high dollar ), the sonys all look pretty good too. HC1 is single chip, FX1/Z1 is 3 chip-same cam basically, Z1 has more options, esp XLR audio. They are all smaller than the JVC and don't have all the expansion/options avail-but thats not to say they aren't a good choice. HD is still very new and the biggest deciding factor for most is still the price point. As in the SD world, 3chips are better than one, and as the price goes up, mechanical quality and features start multiplying. I didn't like the earlier models from JVC (HD-1, HD-10) they are very soft and didn't have good color IMO-but HD had to start somewhere.

So when you get to the drag race (or even a full field NASCAR event), I guarantee you will need a microphone other than the one that ships with the camera. NHRA drag racing noise is currently measuring almost 150 db/spl at the side of the racing surface (it falls off a few db at the stands). Most mics are only rated for 115, 125db max if you're lucky, and there are only a few mics made that can take that extreme 150 level of sound. How extreme you ask? It's loud enough for a seismigraph to register 2.2 richters trackside-yep a sound driven earthquake! I've seen microphone elements (the little thing inside that makes the audio) get totally blown apart by this kind of noise-even ones that retail for $1,000! I wonder how many fans take the family camcorder to a race and find it silent forevermore after the race. Anyhow, after you find a mic, (cheapest would be the 8ball by BLUE-$279/180 street) you'll also need around -20db of attenuation before it goes into the camera so not to overload the camera input. I would also recommend not using auto rec levels on the audio, set it manually for 100% as the cars pass you and leave it at that.

To edit your HDV footage, you'll need a pretty beefy computer and a lot of patience. I use FCP5 on a dual 2.5G G5, and rendering HDV is a very SSSLLLOOOOWWWWWW process. I have some thoughts on improving that, but I digress. I do have to say the final results can be stunning. For distibution, JVC also will soon be releasing a DVD player that will play the HDV files burned to regular DVD media (about 30min a disc) and is only about 399 i think. Rendering to WMV9HD or DIVXHD can be played by a few models of DVD players too, and doesn't look to shabby.

Like I siad, HD is still a very new thing with lots of kinks. But I like what I can do so far...and you have the right attitude about it
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what about the Sony
    Model: DCR-VX2100

its cheaper than the fx1, but how does it compare?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AROUND $2,000- $3,000
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the vx2100 is not HD, as such i don't think comparing the the two is really fair (apples to oranges...). but its still a great camera. i have the previous model, the vx2000. it is a 3chip, and makes really nice SD pictures. it does have manual audio levels, but not xlr connectors. The mic on mine doesn't work anymore, one too many drag races i have used video from mine in projects with SD broadcast camera footage with pleasing results. it does really well in low light too, much much better than your average consumer camcorder. DV edits way faster than HDV, and the recorded sound quality is comparable to all of the HDV cameras (some may argue better since it isn't compressed as much, depends on what you feed it...).

I know you are looking for HD, but you never mentioned how this project was to be displayed? large screen? small screen? computer? if your school doesn't have an HD display device, you will end up with an SD project anyway. try to consider all of this before you start, you'll save loads of time in the end...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    How a pro (like me) might mike it...

Sennheiser MKH-70 shotgut mike, with (?Brand) Parabolic reflector gun--highly focusable. Could even be mounted on a swiveled, standalone boom. Feed into Shure FP-33 field mixer (has phantom power needed for Sennheiser, LIMITER!, Tone generator, etc). Feed at Line Level, balanced, XLR to camera inputs (but you've got to have a good cam that can take those settings). Set to manual gain adjustment (matched to tone). LIMITER ON. Use Mike's in-line -10 or -20dB pad. Many/most Sennheisers have ~144dB Max SPL capability--what you need to avoid clipping.

Unless you are going to do a special "scientific" presention about motion (where 720p60 would come in handy), you're probably better of going with an SD camera. For similar $$$ as an HD cam with a few options, you could get an SD cam with better low light capability, much better lens (important), and more features that you might want/need (incl. HiQual audio inputs) and possibly still have money to get the mike kit above.

Scott

>>>>>>>>>>>
    edit: You're still going to have to "Present" this. Are you going to bring in your own computer or were you thinking of using the schools equipment? If school's--then you must go SD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Personally, I would wait for the Panasonic AG-HVX200. Everything you could possibly want for $5995 MSRP.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Panasonic-Announces-AG-HVX200-HD-Flash-Media-Camcorder-with.htm
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by slacker
    Personally, I would wait for the Panasonic AG-HVX200. Everything you could possibly want for $5995 MSRP.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Panasonic-Announces-AG-HVX200-HD-Flash-Media-Camcorder-with.htm
    Note--they said the camcorder costs 6k, camcorder with 2 P2 cards costs 10k. That means 4k for 2 P2 cards, or $2000 per card (and it'll be months, if not years, before P2 cards are <$20/each like tapes would be). But that's the only way to record HD, shooting via DV tape only allows DV (SD) mode.
    That mean, you'll always have to upload your media first before being able to re-use the cards. I don't think your going to buy a 10-pak, much less a 50-pak, for archiving. Once it's on the Harddrive and edited, how are you going to archive it?
    That's why I say, until ALL the pieces of the HD production chain are readily available --economically--, it probably doesn't make sense for consumers/prosumers to invest in HD.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it will be displayed from a projector that is hooked up to a labtop...
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by keppdog2
    I am looking to invest in a high end video camera. I need something that records sound and picture in hd format and something that will have very sharp pictures, and good clean sound. I have been looking at the sony model link below. Any one know or have any info that will help me choose a good camera?

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProduc...rs-hero-HDRHC1

Thanks
    Travis
    maybe this program will help youxxxxxxx
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    since sony vegas natively supports editing HDV and comes with the cineform codec for a proxy .... there is a ton of info on HDV on the sony forums .... HDV is now used on a lot of news and also shows like the hunting channel ..

http://www.dmnforums.com/cgi-bin/displaywwugindex.fcgi?dire=4&endday=14&forum=sonic-foundry_vegas
    http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/forums/ShowTopics.asp?ForumID=4
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote