VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was asked as a last minute request to take some video at my niece’s wedding. A "formal" wedding video was not organized. I used my Canon HV40. This is camera broke a week or two later when my wife went to Europe.

Two other people took videos. They both had JVC's, both cameras looked the same. I was looking up specs of different JVC Everios and it could have been the GZ-VX755, but I am not sure. I do the editing with Cyberlink PowerDirector 13. I have tried to use AudioDirector 4 but I have been struggling too much and could not really improve the sound, so I started using Audacity yesterday. I still have problems to equalize /normalize the sound of the clips from the three cameras. I have never edited sound before, so this has been a battle just to come this far. I watched quite a few Audacity/Cyberlink/Youtube videos to help me get going.

The sound of especially JVC 2 is extremely bad, especially while the people were dancing. As this is not a professional job, I suppose I can give the video like this to them, but I am quite sure that one can get the sound better. Just normalizing the sound of the Canon and JVC 1, already makes a difference. I believe someone can give me some advice, especially to get the sound of the JVC 2 at least tolerable. I attach quite a few screenshots as well as 9 seconds sound from each camera.

It is a pity that only one clip can be edited at a time, as there are more than 100 clips. Or is there a way that one can edit more than one clips?

(I am using Audacity 2.1.I and have Windows 7. )
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Canon.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	675.4 KB
ID:	33367  

Click image for larger version

Name:	JVC 1.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	509.3 KB
ID:	33369  

Name:	JVC 2.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	448.2 KB
ID:	33371  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would go so far as to say that the third clip is un-recoverable.

It is severely 'clipped'. That's why you see solid blocks at maximum and little wave-form.

My guess it was filmed by someone too close to a loud-speaker so has captured all the feedback from that.

Having said that, there are some geniuses around here so who knows.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    screenshots

Name:	06-Canon Audacity.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	33379  

Name:	05-JVC1 Audacity.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	33380  

Name:	04-JVC2 Audacity.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	33381  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i believe audacity comes with a filter called declip. try it on the last one. if not google declipper plugin for audacity and see if any free ones are out there. they can't ""fix" clipped audio but they might be able to make it listenable.

if you had more than one video camera going at the time you could use the audio from a different cam with the footage from the clip with the bad audio.

more powerful video editors can do multicam editing with all the clips on the timeline at the same time.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. There's also a pretty good DSP Plugin for Audacity called ReLife, designed to recover clipped audio.

Name:	ReLife.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	33382  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for these responses. Hopefully, it can just sound better! Will try both out soon.

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote