Okay! I'm finally ready to start doing simple captures directly from vcr to dvd burner. I will be archiving both NTSC and PAL SP ex-rentals from the 80's on good tape stock, but in most cases pretty rough film and/or transfer. I have played around with a proc amp and external tbc and detailer and color corrector and am not happy with the results. I have decided to do a simple vhs --> tbc (only for macro-blocking if needed) --> dvd burner.

I have tested my NTSC equipment and my verdict is 100% that JVC SR-W5U is the ultimate and freakin destroys all competition on NTSC. A friend noted that on playback on a 60" plasma that he couldn't believe it was a VHS. So for my NTSC, It's simple.

PAL is where it gets a bit tricky: I have three units to choose from, a JVC 9700, a brand new Panasonic HS-1000 And I also picked up a JVC BE-S822E. The 822 has a tbc with what looks like a single RCA out on it?? I am not sure what the best connector is to use between it and my external tbc!

So since I have to start archiving these tapes quickly, I need some input:

1) Should I even bother with the 822?
2) I know it has the tbc, but I don't know if it has the dnr plug-in. Is there any way I can find out whether or not it has the dnr plug-in without opening it up? If not, is there an easy way if opening it up to find out?
3) What cords (adapters) do I need to run between the 822 and datavideo tbc?
4) Do you have any other suggestions for me?

I cannot get a pic of the backs of the 822s atm. I am hoping I can have what I need ordered before I head home. I am hoping people with prior knowledge of the 822 can step up. If pics are necessary, I will be able to post them Wednesday night or Thursday afternoon.

Here is most of the equipment I am working with... I have two 822s, one PAL and one NTSC, neither pictured...