VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. It could be a Firefox issue, or maybe it's a forum bug, but sometimes when inseting images in posts, they just show up as attachments. And I think it only happens with jpeg images (I'm not 100% sure). GIF and PGN images arfe okay.

Could someone tell me if they see the two images in inserted into this post as images or attachments (I used the "upload image" button to add them). If everyone else can see them, maybe it's my browser.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/363758-Problem-with-MOV-MPEG4?p=2315274&viewfull=1#post2315274
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Ask baldrick about the links,they don't show for me.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'll upload a pic that doesn't show properly.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	original.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	24550  

Quote Quote  
  4. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    The best workaround thus far (many thanks to vhelp) ---

--- post an attachment in the Test forum, and later place its URL between the [IMG] [/IMG] tags.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's odd. Often they work, but sometimes they don't A few days ago I uploaded an image which showed as an attachment, then I edited the post to add a second image and suddenly the first one displayed as an image too.

Here's a post from a couple of minutes ago where the uploaded image became an attachment. I guess it's not just jpegs, as that one's a gif. I'm inserting images in posts this way (lets see if the image displays ).

Click image for larger version

Name:	upload.gif
Views:	412
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	24552
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    The best workaround thus far (many thanks to vhelp) ---

--- post an attachment in the Test forum, and later place its URL between the [IMG] [/IMG] tags.
    So it's a known problem?
    It only happens..... maybe one time in ten...... something like that. Obviously inserting an image into my previous post in this thread worked as expected.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've never had that problem,what browser are you using?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    I've never had that problem,what browser are you using?
    Firefox. The images appear to upload fine each time. I'm not sure how the browser would effect the way the forum handles the image after it's been uploaded using the "upload image" button but what would I know...... not much when it comes to browsers.

I've noticed the same thing happening on the odd occasion in the past, but not thought much about it as I don't upload images all that much. It's just the last day or so I've uploaded more than usual and it's happened a few times, so I thought I'd mention it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Could be the way the browser is coding the image tags,look at the page source and see if there is a difference in the posts that don't show with a similar post that works.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Just for funzies..... the post I linked to originally...... I have witnesses who'll testify the pictures were showing as attachments a few minutes ago, yes?
    I guess I can rely on johns0 being a witness to the effect.

If you go back to the post you'll see the images are now showing as images. All I did was edit the post and add a third small image to the bottom of it. When I saved the edited version, all the images displayed.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/363758-Problem-with-MOV-MPEG4?p=2315274&viewfull=1#post2315274

Edit: Damn!! They displayed as images at first, but when I closed the page and re-opened it they became attachments again. Except the third one. It's still an image.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's got to be the page encoding cause i they don't show for me as well,i see all other attachments.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Could be the way the browser is coding the image tags,look at the page source and see if there is a difference in the posts that don't show with a similar post that works.
    It seems to be an attachment in the page source. Something like this:

<a class='contentlink' href="https://forum.videohelp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24551" >Attachment 24551</a>
    </blockquote>

Did you see the edit to my previous post?
    Images displaying as attachments then displaying as images then displaying as attachments again??
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The attachments never did show as images unless i clicked on them,just the test image shows ok.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Here we go (ironically relying on screenshots to illustrate what's happening).

The post I linked to immediately after I edit it and save the edited version.

[Attachment 24554 - Click to enlarge]

Then after hitting the refresh button.

[Attachment 24555 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  15. I don't get it, the images in my previous post showed, then they didn't.

The following has happened to me a few times before and I put it down to a browser issue, but seeing as it just happened again and seeing as I'm here anyway..... I thought my brain was having a little melt-down the first time.

Sorry about the large pic, but here's how this thread looked to me immediately after submitting my previous post. Note the pics in my post, which are now showing up as attachments, mysteriously showed up in your post too. Until I refreshed the page.
    It could be some completely unrelated oddness......

Name:	Images not displaying all the time-.png
Views:	280
Size:	887.4 KB
ID:	24556
    Quote Quote  
  16. The pic in my post above..... That one seems to be happy to keep displaying as a pic no matter how many times I refresh the page.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm submitting a post containing a picture which might help pinpoint the problem. If it shows up as an attachment instead, could you read it?
    Cheers.

Name:	submit.gif
Views:	237
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	24558
    Quote Quote  
  18. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The pic shows,when you upload an attachment don't add it as an attachment after,it will display as a picture.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Mentally Deficient Mr.Delusional's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm always lurking on here and remember this post. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/355997-Issues-with-image-attachments

I searched over in the Vbulletin forum and found this. http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-4/vbulletin-4-questions-problems-and-tr...old-posts-only It seems to be a bug in Vbulletin. And not just here on Videohelp.

Sorry, I'm sure all this doesn't actually help.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    But I have fixed it....
    Quote Quote  
  21. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mr.Delusional View Post
    I searched over in the Vbulletin forum and found this. http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-4/vbulletin-4-questions-problems-and-tr...old-posts-only It seems to be a bug in Vbulletin. And not just here on Videohelp.
    Well, that sucks But thanks for the information, I didn't know what was the real cause of the problem.

Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    So it's a known problem?
    It only happens..... maybe one time in ten...... something like that. Obviously inserting an image into my previous post in this thread worked as expected.
    Yes, please check https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/359273-Image-attachments-being-weird-again!

Originally Posted by Baldrick
    But I have fixed it....
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    But I have fixed it....

Name:	fixed.gif
Views:	247
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	24561

As in "just now, fixed it"?

Well that one worked.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    The pic shows,when you upload an attachment don't add it as an attachment after,it will display as a picture.
    That's what I was trying to explain. I used the "upload image" button. I didn't add it as an attachment. The forum turns it into one, then usually it displays as a pic, but sometimes as an attachment link.
    I can't remember the last time I inserted an image and it appeared in the post as an image before I submitted the post. It always gets added using the "attach" tags, for me.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    But I have fixed it....
    Or at least so the image link works after you clicked on it....
    Quote Quote  
  25. I saw mention of the "Full WYSIWYG Editor" in one of the threads El Heggunte linked to, so I switched to it. Now when I insert an image in a post it's being inserted the way I previously remember it happening (no attach tags).

Name:	insert.gif
Views:	443
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	24563

So maybe the image being added as an attachment the way it was has nothing to do with the problem? I don't recall switching to the standard editor at any stage. Maybe I did..... if I did I don't know why..... I don't recall there even being a choice.

Oh well..... I guess I'll try inserting images in WYSIWYG mode to see what happens. Should it make a difference?
    Quote Quote  
  26. I like this one. The way my inserted images also appear in the previous post until I refresh the page (well admittedly it hardly every happens, but this is the second time today (see post 15).

Name:	Clipboard01.gif
Views:	232
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	24564
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Or at least so the image link works after you clicked on it....
    So this is one of those "it's a bug" problems which will hopefully go away eventually if the forum software is upgraded?

It's no big..... I just wasn't sure if it was a known problem or it was just in my head.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I will try upgrade to latest vbulletin 4.x.x some day this year. It will hopefully fix it.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Cheers. No big deal. I could be posting over at doom9 (I used to quite a bit before having most of my interest in doing so moderated away) where images can only be inserted into posts if they're hosted on a third party site, the maximum attachment size allowed is 200Kb, there's no video formats included in the list of allowed attachments, and when you do upload one, nobody can view it for days because it generally takes that long for a mod that long to get around to approving it.

It's all relative..... so to speak.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!