VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I trust no prosumer video stabilizers sorry, had to ask it I'm scared of spending $90 on something that's crap as usual, never mind the return policy, just want to spare myself of the hassle... So, anyone tried it in reality?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Never used that app, but at that price software is usually just a GUI someone wrote for a free open source program that actually is doing all the work. That's just routine in the computer business.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's a hardware not app
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oops.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like it is just for removing macrovision. If that's all you need then it's probably alright but I have zero experience with this device so I'm just guessing. Nice that it can do S-Video, which most consumer level VCRs never had.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I've S-VHS VCR and all I need is something to remove MV from some tapes I want to digitalize. Just something that surely works and it's not overly expensive, let's say $100 is my limit. Don't care if it's called GENERIC VIDEO STABILIZER as long as it gets the job done. Once I bought sth and it did zilch. Think it was in $40 range can't remember the name but it left trauma.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you have PCI slot, buy AVerMedia DVD EZMaker Gold card. Then find registry DWORD named MuteVideoMacrovision and set it to 0. Voilà!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Pinto007 View Post
    If you have PCI slot, buy AVerMedia DVD EZMaker Gold card. Then find registry DWORD named MuteVideoMacrovision and set it to 0. Voilà!
    Thanks but I have recently bought a new mobo and it carries PCI-E only. But hey, I'm actually using an AverMedia card, maybe it could be set in this one too? I'll check out tomorrow. It's A707 btw, don't know that long fancy name of it, forgot and threw the box away, just know this model name from the driver.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It does not. The Grex has well-known problems with adding flickering, brightness/IRE issues, and other image problems.

It's not a TBC.
    It's a POS.

I have one, and it fails almost every TBC test that I have.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 23rd Mar 2018 at 23:10. Reason: typo
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    It does not. The Grex has well0known problems with adding flickering, brightness/IRE issues, and other image problems.

It's not a TBC.
    It's a POS.

Can you recommend another macrovision remover for a similar price, as it seems like OP is only after macrovision removal.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All of the "macrovision removers" have these issues.
    Either that, or simply not working at all.

I want lots of things that don't exist.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It does not. The Grex has well-known problems with adding flickering, brightness/IRE issues, and other image problems.

It's not a TBC.
    It's a POS.

Thanks LS, you're a digitalizing bard around here, much appreciated what you shared.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All of the "macrovision removers" have these issues.
    Either that, or simply not working at all.

I want lots of things that don't exist.
    Then what to buy? Ok give me one link with a price of something that exists, that works, and can be bought without selling my house first, forget my $100 limit mentioned before, show me sth on the internet that works and is there to buy.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alas, nothing, no such entry in the registry. It really sounded too easy Btw I also have A177 it's an older Aver card, also PCI-E, and if someone knows if it has that DWORD in the registry I'm willing to pull out A707 and bring back the old one in.
    Last edited by kodec; 24th Mar 2018 at 07:25.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey mate I have found this only entry that mentions MV anything I can do with it maybe, edit somehow?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	123
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	45017
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe it can be added manually to the same string where it is found on your card?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

It's not a TBC.
    It's a POS.

Have you tried with various kind of macrovision (level 1,2,3) and CGMS-A. I expect it to remove macrovision artefacts (green bar, color stripes etc..) better than my capture card does. I'll find out soon enough.
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  18. I've received mine today, it's a grey unit, bought it on the official site (not ebay) . I've played with it a little (ntsc tape, s-video in/out) it seem to work for macrovision tapes i haven't seen ire,brightness problems but for non macrovision tapes (these are problematic tapes by the way) it adds big color stripes at the bottom from time to time. On the site they say we can try the manual mode, i guess i'll try it once i figure out how to enable it.

color stripe (vcr menu through dvd rec panasonic)

Last edited by themaster1; 26th Mar 2018 at 17:39.
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ughhh looks ugly right. Upload some scans from MV tapes when you get the time, or upload a segment; please describe for MV tapes are there any vertical even tiny jumps every fews secs or is the video vertically non-stop stable. For the vertical jumps I'm curious about, check the YT link below. It's my upload of an MV tape made by the gadget I bought years earlier. It's was a great gadget for the money, don't think it's available anywhere anymore, but I was 95% satisfied. Not 100% obviously otherwise I wouldn't search on

So the only artifact it introduces are these vertical jumps you're about to see, the time is set in the video where there are best visible, during end titles. Otherwise it doesn't affect the pic quality at all wich is fascinating really. If the Grex doesn't have it and don't mess with the MV pic otherwise, I will seriously consider buying it.

https://youtu.be/QmVnJARNb3k?t=5412
    Last edited by kodec; 26th Mar 2018 at 16:11.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Meanwhile PINTO where are you tell me the string to try hack it myself
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    I've received mine today, it's a grey unit, bought it on the official site (not ebay) . I've played with it a little (ntsc tape, s-video in/out) it seem to work for macrovision tapes i haven't seen ire,brightness problems but for non macrovision tapes (these are problematic tapes by the way) it adds big color stripes at the bottom from time to time. On the site they say we can try the manual mode, i guess i'll try it once i figure out how to enable it.
    Be careful, on the site it says:

"The default Operational Mode 001 that the Grex is shipped with is one that will suite all your needs. In some special cases with specific setups we may suggest you to select different Operational Mode. You should change Grex Operational Mode only if our technical support has recommended it. "

So better send them an email first and describe your problem (give them the link to this topic lol) and hopefully they will tell you how which mode to choose? I'm eagerly awaiting for the development of the situation
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kodec View Post
    Then what to buy? Ok give me one link with a price of something that exists, that works, and can be bought without selling my house first, forget my $100 limit mentioned before, show me sth on the internet that works and is there to buy.
    There's no way to avoid a full-frame external TBC, which costs more than $100.

If such a thing existed, I'd have done it myself long ago.

If your budget is limited, then all you can do is make bad conversions, and put up with the errors. Then the thought is this: Is it worth the hassle of capturing to make bad videos? Probably not. Either do it correctly, or not at all -- ESPECIALLY if others will see your work. Don't subject them to your lower standards, should you do the low-quality conversion route.

The "Youtube/cam generation" seems to be fine with a Grex, as evidenced by undeserved glowing Amazon reviews, but the quality is still crap. The video has flaws, period, the end. Good reviews be damned. If you're on VH, odds are you're not going to be satisfied with the low quality it poops out.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 26th Mar 2018 at 19:28.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by kodec View Post
    I trust no prosumer video stabilizers sorry, had to ask it I'm scared of spending $90 on something that's crap as usual, never mind the return policy, just want to spare myself of the hassle... So, anyone tried it in reality?
    Rather get your hands on a Phillips Vhs deck 7 series if U can find one on eBay they work. Just composite tho[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's no way to avoid a full-frame external TBC, which costs more than $100.

If such a thing existed, I'd have done it myself long ago.

If your budget is limited, then all you can do is make bad conversions, and put up with the errors. Then the thought is this: Is it worth the hassle of capturing to make bad videos? Probably not. Either do it correctly, or not at all -- ESPECIALLY if others will see your work. Don't subject them to your lower standards, should you do the low-quality conversion route.

The "Youtube/cam generation" seems to be fine with a Grex, as evidenced by undeserved glowing Amazon reviews, but the quality is still crap. The video has flaws, period, the end. Good reviews be damned. If you're on VH, odds are you're not going to be satisfied with the low quality it poops out.
    Are you familiar with this one? It falls within my extended limit of $250:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-Video-Time-Base-Corrector-With-Frame-Pulse-And-C...4AAOSwBLlVYSUu
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by kodec View Post

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-Video-Time-Base-Corrector-With-Frame-Pulse-And-C...4AAOSwBLlVYSUu
    That is the AVT-2710, pretty much the only "TBC" still actively marketed as a new item under $300. It is sold under several brand names around the world, with slight internal variations. It had a decent rep many years ago, but production quality slipped in recent years to the point where getting a "good" one is a bit of a hassle (often involving buy-return cycles from several vendors).

For the price, I'd suggest looking for a second-hand DataVideo TBC1000 instead. These also have issues, with many used examples being in dysfunctional condition. But the DataVideo has cleaner more consistent output than most AVTs, and its faults are more typically "mechanical" in nature (disconnect its useless distribution amp to tap directly into the TBC circuit primary output, and you've bypassed 90% of potential glitches).

Bear in mind, TBCs are yet another giant freakin PITA product afflicting us poor VHS transfer fools. They fall into just two equally-annoying categories: true "pro" TBCs from the Jurassic period that once cost $5000 but now sell for $100 on eBay, and TinkerToy crap like the AVT and DataVideo that were never more than "adequate" on a good day (and drive you up the wall on a bad day). The old "pro" gear is hopelessly worn out and not good with VHS or MV, the cheaper newer prosumer stuff has wide quality control variation. As with many such hardware questions, LordSmurf is of course 100% correct based on his experience with properly-functioning examples of the units being discussed. The catch is, good luck buying an example yourself today that functions as perfectly as the ones already long in his possession. IOW, most TBCs that you audition are not gonna perform dramatically better than a Grex: all these boxes are riddled with their own collection of bugs.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto View Post

That is the AVT-2710, pretty much the only "TBC" still actively marketed as a new item under $300. It is sold under several brand names around the world, with slight internal variations. It had a decent rep many years ago, but production quality slipped in recent years to the point where getting a "good" one is a bit of a hassle (often involving buy-return cycles from several vendors).

For the price, I'd suggest looking for a second-hand DataVideo TBC1000 instead. These also have issues, with many used examples being in dysfunctional condition. But the DataVideo has cleaner more consistent output than most AVTs, and its faults are more typically "mechanical" in nature (disconnect its useless distribution amp to tap directly into the TBC circuit primary output, and you've bypassed 90% of potential glitches).

Bear in mind, TBCs are yet another giant freakin PITA product afflicting us poor VHS transfer fools. They fall into just two equally-annoying categories: true "pro" TBCs from the Jurassic period that once cost $5000 but now sell for $100 on eBay, and TinkerToy crap like the AVT and DataVideo that were never more than "adequate" on a good day (and drive you up the wall on a bad day). The old "pro" gear is hopelessly worn out and not good with VHS or MV, the cheaper newer prosumer stuff has wide quality control variation. As with many such hardware questions, LordSmurf is of course 100% correct based on his experience with properly-functioning examples of the units being discussed. The catch is, good luck buying an example yourself today that functions as perfectly as the ones already long in his possession. IOW, most TBCs that you audition are not gonna perform dramatically better than a Grex: all these boxes are riddled with their own collection of bugs.
    Fools I love it, this is one of the best hobbies, there is something very satisfactory about restoring only on VHS existing old crap, it's like witnessing Ronnie O'Sullivan knock in a fast ton personally

Btw if I end up buying the TBC1000, how do you do that bypassing, is there a manual somwehere?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just for the info, wanted to check it out but seems there is no TBC1000 currently sold on eBay.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by kodec View Post
    Funny enough , I use Eyetv with TVMax which did real-time Mpeg2 2 pass encoding never needed a TBC . Quality has never been an issue as been doing transfers for over 12 years . They are off the market now sadly . BM Infinity shuffle is more advanced in many ways . Just a pity about needing a TBC as it’s more sensitive than the other older Digitizers ..

Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Adrian Hepker View Post
    Funny enough , I use Eyetv with TVMax which did real-time Mpeg2 2 pass encoding never needed a TBC . Quality has never been an issue as been doing transfers for over 12 years . They are off the market now sadly . BM Infinity shuffle is more advanced in many ways . Just a pity about needing a TBC as it’s more sensitive than the other older Digitizers ..

I have no trouble as well as long as no MV involved, have a decent VCR. Can't believe the guy from my town made cheap self-released documentaries at home studio back in the day, which are now documents of time, and put MV on most of them
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by kodec View Post
    Originally Posted by Adrian Hepker View Post

I have no trouble as well as long as no MV involved, have a decent VCR. Can't believe the guy from my town made cheap self-released documentaries at home studio back in the day, which are now documents of time, and put MV on most of them

MV was so easily defeated , seems pointless these days . If you are a small producer you would want exposure to get your name out ..the big studios is another story .

Quote Quote