VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I want to convert a simple MKV file which is at a frame rate of 50 fps. When I try to use TSMuxer to create a BDMV format, it stops with an error. TSMuxer READS the frame rate as 90000. I've tried selecting 'Change the frame rate' to 25 fps and others that are standard, but I still get an error.

I've tried using MKV Merge and setting the frame rate to 25 fps, but then the resulting MKV file simply plays at half speed

I've read in searching about this that the 50 fps likely has duplicated frames that CAN be dropped, but I do not know how to do this. Is there any straight forward way, even to re-encode the MKV file, that will convert it to a more standard 25 fps? And, if I do re-encode this and somehow drop the duplicated frames, do I 'need' to use any tweaks to smooth out the picture or anything else?

I read on Doom9 that in AVS you can simply state something like 'assume 25fps', but I don't know the correct syntax. The only time I have used simply AVS is within BD Rebuilder to tweak a file.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. What is the resolution? What is the source from originally? Post mediainfo report (view=>text) , copy & paste back here

50FPS is supported by PAL area blu-rays (e.g. UK) , at 1280x720p50 . NTSC region blu-ray players (e.g. USA) usually won't play them.

And 25p native isn't supported by any blu-ray player (for example 1920x1080p 25FPS is encoded as interlaced to be compatible in UK blu ray players)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks PDR!

MediaInfo shows the fps as 'Variable', but VLC show it to be 50. Also, when I tried using MKVMerge and set it specifically at '50', the resulting file played perfectly fine.

Like I say, I don't mind at all re-encoding the file (it's pretty small anyway) but I just don't quite know how to go about it.

Thanks again m8!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. If it's non authored, many newer BD players should be able to play the mkv as-is, even North American models

If you're in "Sunny SoCal", an you want it authored BD on disc, you'll have to do a framerate conversion to make it compatible for your USA player .

Is the 50 FPS "real" unique frames ? Is video motion very smoooth ? Assuming it is, you have several option to convert it to 1280x720p59.94 if you want to keep the smoothness. There are pros/cons to several methods

Width : 1 276 pixels
    Height : 714 pixels

Is that the real dimension ? That's non compliant for BD as well. You need to add black borders to make it up to 1280x720

ConvertFPS will add blended frames to make up the 50=>59.94 . ChangeFPS will add duplicate frames to make up 50=>59.94 . Blended frames will look smoother, but have ghosting artifacts. Duplicates have choppier motion, but no artifacts. The 3rd method is to use motion interpolated frames, it will produces the smoothest results, but prone to morphing artifacts.

eg.
    Code:
    WhateverSource()
    ConvertFPS(60000,1001)
    AddBorders(2,2,2,4)

You need to use BD compliant settings for the encoding , or some GUI like megui, avchcoder, multiavchd (this is outdated) that has compliant BD presets
    https://sites.google.com/site/x264bluray/home

I'm not sure, but multiavchd and/or uncropmkv might be able to do all this for you (but they use an old, outdated x264 build)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    If it's non authored, many newer BD players should be able to play the mkv as-is, even North American models

If you're in "Sunny SoCal", an you want it authored BD on disc, you'll have to do a framerate conversion to make it compatible for your USA player .

Is the 50 FPS "real" unique frames ? Is video motion very smoooth ? Assuming it is, you have several option to convert it to 1280x720p59.94 if you want to keep the smoothness. There are pros/cons to several methods

Width : 1 276 pixels
    Height : 714 pixels

Is that the real dimension ? That's non compliant for BD as well. You need to add black borders to make it up to 1280x720

ConvertFPS will add blended frames to make up the 50=>59.94 . ChangeFPS will add duplicate frames to make up 50=>59.94 . Blended frames will look smoother, but have ghosting artifacts. Duplicates have choppier motion, but no artifacts. The 3rd method is to use motion interpolated frames, it will produces the smoothest results, but prone to morphing artifacts.

eg.
    Code:
    WhateverSource()
    ConvertFPS(60000,1001)
    AddBorders(2,2,2,4)

You need to use BD compliant settings for the encoding , or some GUI like megui, avchcoder, multiavchd (this is outdated) that has compliant BD presets
    https://sites.google.com/site/x264bluray/home

I'm not sure, but multiavchd and/or uncropmkv might be able to do all this for you (but they use an old, outdated x264 build)
    I know, it sure is a weird one. I really appreciate all of your time and input; I always view these odd things that come up a mostly an opportunity to learn more in depth about A/V in general. My OPPO player chokes on the MKV, most likely because of the 50 fps rate I'm sure. That is primarily why I want to convert it to either an MKV at the proper frame rate or a BDMV structure that is compliant for me to play on it. It's interesting that when I tried simply to import the MKV directly into BDRB and it set up it's 'pseudo' structure, it would then not even recognize the structure it created as an actual Blu-ray source. And, when I tried to play the resulting m2ts file within the Stream folder that BDRB created it kind of froze and stuttered.

Heh, funny... I should have thought of simply dumping the dang thing into MultiAVCHD! Especially for something this low-key. I've been working so much to learn how to add both AVS and x264 code to BDRB that I had left that old program behind (mainly because BDRB does almost all the work )

Well, I will study what you have shown me here and see what I can learn. Also, I might try MultiAVCHD just for the heck of it and then mess around or tweak the resulting (compliant, I hope) file.

Thanks so much!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!