VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey everyone,

I've have recently made the switch from a PC to a Mac Book Pro. For the past few days I've been trying to connect a Sony HVR-V1U to the Mac, without luck. When connected via USB, it's displayed but obviously I can't transfer video that way. When connected via Firewire, it doesn't show up at all.

Adobe Premiere doesn't see it, and neither does iMovie. It doesn't even show up under System Information/Firewire.

The cable I'm using is brandnew. Now, when I connect the camera to the Mac, the camera noticed this, because at the top of the LCD display it shows "HDVin iLINK". When I disconnect the cable, this disappears. I've tried all camera settings, but nothing changed anything.

The Adobe Project is also set to HD..

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

edit: Also tried on my colleague's Mac, didn't see it either.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The HVR-V1U doesn't transfer video over USB, only stills.

Firewire should work. Make sure the camera is set to HDV out.

Check for tech reports from Apple or Sony about using this camcorder with a Firewire 800 port.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    IIRC, there was a former thread where the culprit was the Firewire800 port...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    The HVR-V1U doesn't transfer video over USB, only stills.

Firewire should work. Make sure the camera is set to HDV out.

Check for tech reports from Apple or Sony about using this camcorder with a Firewire 800 port.
    All the settings are correct, I've done this a thousand times, but only on PC. (Though maybe that can be exactly the reason why I'm missing the obvious.)

I realize that the USB thing doesn't work as stated in my original post, but at least it sees the camera then.
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    IIRC, there was a former thread where the culprit was the Firewire800 port...
    The Mac is brand new out of the box, so I can't imagine the Firewire port being faulty. Especially since I get the same result, or rather lack of results, on my colleague's Mac when connecting it via Firewire. Also the fact that the camera itself does respond when it's connected.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a similar app note issued by Grass Valley on the ADVC line and Apple Firewire 800. Sony may have something similar for your V1U.
    http://www.grassvalley.com/docs/Application_Notes/professional/advc/PRV-4077M_ADVC_Fir...Wire800_AN.pdf

This thread may ID the issue or may be a red herring. See last few posts.
    I'm having the same issue with my HVR-Z1U - the computer not recognizing the camera - and the Senior Technical Advisors in the Final Cut Dept at Apple say it's because I've upgraded my computer operating system from Leopard (Mac OS 10.5.8) to Snow Leopard (Mac OS 10.6.8) and the SONY firmware no longer works with 10.6.8.

The camera and cable work just fine on the power PC G5 Tower, and it does not work at all on the brand new MacPro Intel machine bc, apparently, the camera is missing the firmware update, which should be provided by Sony. So the issue is not ports on the camera or your computer being blown, and it's not the cable. The problem is that the new operating system will not support an old camera that rolls tape.
    http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/35/858184

I'm not seeing this problem with my Z1U on either Win or OSX with Firewire 400 port. It may be related to the Apple implementation of Firewire 800. Sony tech support should know.
    Last edited by edDV; 4th May 2012 at 21:18.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks guys, I appreciate the help a lot. And you helping you did! It was indeed an issue with Firewire800. I've bought a little adapter in between the cable and the Mac, and it works now.

Camera --> 4 pins<cable>8pins ---> FW400<adapter>FW800 --> MacBook Pro

It connected without a problem. To be exact this is the one I bought:
    Sonnet FireWire 400 to 800 Adapter (FAD-824)

Strangely enough I wasn't able to find this or any other brand (originally I was looking for Moshi) at the Apple store itself, or at Best Buy.

I'm truly hoping this thread will help others as well, strange that there was so little info about this on the internet.

Thanks again guys!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys, first time poster here.

I'm having the exact same issue as Tijs. And I was so excited to see this thread, however after getting to the bottom my heart sank because I've tried EVERYTHING suggested, including buying a new 400-800 adapter and it still doesn't work. The adapter works with my external FW 400 drive and I've tried two different cables. Still nothing. I've also had two colleagues attempt it on their computers (G5, macbook pro) with no luck. I'm beginning to think I've wasted my money on the HVR-V1U.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks so much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the only way i've seen a way around apple's fw800 problem is to connect a firewire 400 hard drive to the computer with a fw400 6pin-6pin cable and then connect the camera to the hard drive with a 4pin to 6pin cable. no adapter used.

but if it doesn't work on fw400 computers it may be the firewire port on the cam is trashed.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks aedipuss. I was hoping that wasn't the problem, but you're probably right. the daisy chaining to my external HD didn't work.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I had this exact problem. My Canon mini-DV video camera was not recognized as a Firewire 800 connected device on my Macbook Pro series early 2011 running OSX 10.8. This same camera worked fine connected via Firewire 400 to my earlier Macbook Pro model running OSX 10.6. I purchased a Firewire 800 9-Pin-to-4-Pin cable, which was not cheap, and that didn't work. What I needed was a Firewire 400 to 800 converter Sonnet FireWire 400 to 800 Adapter (FAD-824) and it worked. Thank you for this post, it helped me to fix my problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's an idea (which I too may have to try). Install a firewire 400 card in an open PCIe slot.

Sent from my  iPad 3
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Tijs View Post
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the help a lot. And you helping you did! It was indeed an issue with Firewire800. I've bought a little adapter in between the cable and the Mac, and it works now.

Camera --> 4 pins<cable>8pins ---> FW400<adapter>FW800 --> MacBook Pro

It connected without a problem. To be exact this is the one I bought:
    Sonnet FireWire 400 to 800 Adapter (FAD-824)

Strangely enough I wasn't able to find this or any other brand (originally I was looking for Moshi) at the Apple store itself, or at Best Buy.

I'm truly hoping this thread will help others as well, strange that there was so little info about this on the internet.

Thanks again guys!

I dont' understand how this is suppose to work. I have never seen an "8pin". Did you mean a 9pin? Or maybe a 6pin? Looking at the adapter it looks like you meant a 4pin to 6pin cable. The 6pin male end fitting to the 6pin female side of the adapter, then the 9pin male to the MAC?
    Quote Quote