VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    On my PC my VLC player keeps telling me there's a new version available, but when I check for updates on my laptop's VLC player, it keeps insisting it's the most up to date version.

Anyone know what the facts are (and why my laptop's software isn't noting the new version's being available)?

Could one of them have gotten hacked? Like, could the notice there's a new version actually be fake?
    Quote Quote  
  2. 2.0.1 is official , you can check the official website and changelog to confirm this - but where you download it from might be fake. There might be other websites that insert malicious code and distribute it, so make sure you download from a legit site

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Pre 2.x versions of VLC are not able to update themselves to the 2.x releases. This is probably what you are seeing on your laptop. You have to manually update it by downloading it yourself.

Given some of the problems with the 2.x releases you may want to just leave your laptop alone for a while. I updated on my PC and in my opinion it was for the worse but I also updated on a Mac and that one actually seems to be better. Then again, the 1.x versions of VLC for Mac weren't all that great.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, I also agree with Jman. Nothing but problems here with 2.0.1. Very slow playback, stuttering, etc. Stick with the old version for now on Windows. It also did something to my GPU. It made it run very hot with laptop fans working overtime. I have uninstalled version 2.0.1 for now and GPU is back to normal.

The new version of MPCHC seems to be rock solid with no issues here. (Version 1.6.1.4235)

I am using Win 7 64.
    Quote Quote