VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello i am having problems with mpc the original aspect ratio for the .mkv file is 4:3 but i used mkvmerge to make it 16:9, mpc still displays the video as 4:3. i have already set "keep aspect ratio" but it does nothing and disabled "read Ar from stream" but no change. here is a sample file
    http://www.mediafire.com/?lmemddb19nrekhu

and here is the information from mediainfo

General
    Unique ID : 235007942482742696009297645721995054622 (0xB0CCE223DB65CC79A347B1D623F20E1E)
    Complete name : C:\Users\Aliyu\Videos\Kannagi.avi-muxed (1).mkv
    Format : Matroska
    Format version : Version 2
    File size : 2.71 MiB
    Duration : 1mn 54s
    Overall bit rate : 198 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2012-09-09 20:29:50
    Writing application : mkvmerge v4.4.0 ('Die Wiederkehr') built on Oct 31 2010 21:52:48
    Writing library : libebml v1.0.0 + libmatroska v1.0.0

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High 10@L3.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 10 frames
    Muxing mode : Header stripping
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Nominal bit rate : 173 Kbps
    Width : 640 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Original display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 10.000 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 10 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.056
    Writing library : x264 core 125 r2200 999b753
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=10 / deblock=1:1:1 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=0.40:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=5 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=100 / keyint_min=10 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=173 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=81 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=2:0.60

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : HE-AAC / LC
    Codec ID : A_AAC
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz / 22.05 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Delay relative to video : 33ms
    Quote Quote  
  2. cant anyone pls help me
    Quote Quote  
  3. It plays as 16:9 for me in MPC-HC by default. But it's fairly obvious to me that it's supposed to be 4:3. What a mess that video is. 10fps?

Maybe update your player.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    It plays as 16:9 for me in MPC-HC by default. But it's fairly obvious to me that it's supposed to be 4:3. What a mess that video is. 10fps?

Maybe update your player.
    i am using MPC-HC.1.6.3.5818. this video is just an example of the problem i am having with a lot of videos i convert
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    the original aspect ratio for the .mkv file is 4:3 but i used mkvmerge to make it 16:9,
    Huh ?!?!?

All Mkvmerge does is mux elementary streams, it does not convert or change anything......
    It is a "muxing" program, not any kind of converter.
    Quote Quote  
  6. i know that. what i mean is that after i have used megui some times i forget to change the aspect ratio so i use mkvmerge to re-mux it to 16:9 but it still plays at 4:3
    Quote Quote  
  7. Use a different MKV reader/splitter.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hey theunk,

I am with manono ... I just downloaded your Sample and used "Media Player Classic Home Cinema 1.6.2.4902 (X86)" and it played as 16:9 by default. BTW, I tried in VLC Media Player 2.0.3 (X32) and played A-OK too.

Q: Are you using x32 or x64 of your version MPC-HC?

Or try using an Older version ... may be MPC glitch!

G!
    Quote Quote  
  9. The AR information isn't being passed through the various filters required to play a video. Use a different MKV reader/splitter. Also check the codecs. Be sure you don't have "Override Aspect Ratio" set to Default, not forced to another AR.

Of course, the bigger problem is your video is 4:3 DAR, not 16:9.
    Last edited by jagabo; 12th Sep 2012 at 21:13.
    Quote Quote  
  10. @gonwk
    i am using the 32 bit ver i have used new an old mpc the give me the same problems

@jagabo
    i did use a different MKV reader/splitter still got the same outcome, but i found out that if i should tick h264/avc (ffmpeg) it solves the issue but then i cannot watch movies that are 10bit encoded.
    Quote Quote  
  11. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps there is a *bug* in your video card's drivers ???

Anyway, play that file on other computer(s), or try different video renderers, and see if this makes some difference...
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 13th Sep 2012 at 01:51.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by theunk View Post
    i found out that if i should tick h264/avc (ffmpeg) it solves the issue but then i cannot watch movies that are 10bit encoded.
    MPCHC's internal h264/avc (ffmpeg) decoder played your sample for me. The DXVA version doesn't.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Yes as mentioned above MPC-HC with internal filters will display the AR correctly but pass it to to external filters i.e. LAV and the aspect ratio gets lost or ignored.

The way I get around these things is change the source AR directly rather than worry about display AR. This tool will change SAR for AVC/h264 for you:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=152419
    Quote Quote  
  14. @chug a bug

thanks alot that works for me. i really appreciate it
    Quote Quote  
  15. Generally the way it seems to work, at least as best as I can tell, is if the "View/Video Frame/Keep Aspect Ratio" option is checked (from the top MPC-HC menu) it'll use the container display aspect ratio. With that option unchecked, it'll use the original aspect ratio. I don't know if it applies for every possible combination of splitters/renderers etc, but....

Check to see if "Keep Aspect Ratio" is checked, as your sample also plays using a 16:9 aspect ratio for me.

Why are you needing to change the aspect ratio after encoding with MeGUI? In most cases MeGUI should get it right so the encode should display using the correct aspect ratio without you needing to change anything.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Generally the way it seems to work, at least as best as I can tell, is if the "View/Video Frame/Keep Aspect Ratio" option is checked (from the top MPC-HC menu) it'll use the container display aspect ratio. With that option unchecked, it'll use the original aspect ratio. I don't know if it applies for every possible combination of splitters/renderers etc
    That's the problem. Not all combinations of filters pass the AR information properly.
    Quote Quote