VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I having a problem that I'm sure most people won't experience, but I'm hoping someone out there has, and is able to offer some suggestions on how to fix it. So here goes.

I shoot dance recitals, so I'm always trieing to give me clients the best videos posible. But when I recorded it my Sony NX5U in HD 720, and process it in FCP X, it looks good. I also output it from FCP as a master quick time movie, and on the desk top it still looks good. I then put it into compressor and burn it with DVD Studio pro, and thats when I loose the quality I had before.

When I play the dvd on the TV, everything looks good except for the faces on stage, I can't see them very well. It's kind of pixelly. I can't see the detail in the picture enough to tell one child from the next. Only on an extrem close-up can I tell one from another.

I've also tried burning with iDVD and I get the same result. I don't know if it's in the way i'm exprotting the video, or something else.

Thanks,
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    DVD is not HD(720p and higher). So you must either make a blu-ray or just burn as video files(mp4).

And this is not any user guide. Moving you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    dvd is 720x480 interlaced at 29.97 so unless you are encoding at a high enough bitrate things tend to get a bit fuzzy or if they are small faces onstage there just aren't enough pixels to create a sharp image. depending on how long the recital is you might have to break it up into more than one dvd to get a decent bitrate. time x bitrate = filesize and a dvr can only hold about 4.365GB
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the quick response Baldrick. right now each act is about 3.9GB, so I was able to push the bit rate up to almost the max, but this no difference. I had originally bounced them out of FCP as Pro ress 422, so now i'm trying Pro ress 422HQ. Don't know if that will make a difference. But at this point, I'm willing to try just about anything. It don't understand why when I look at it when it comes out of FCP, it looks great. I can see all of the faces. But after that not so much. Could it be because I'm viewing it on a 17in monitor verses a 65in TV?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    You can export them as ProRes 4444 XQ and it still won't make a difference. Your problem is DVD-Video. You are losing 1/3 of your resolution by going to DVD. The 65-inch screen makes it all the more obvious.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    (2) things you might try
    switch to dual layer dvd disc 8100MB aka 8.1gb capacity, you mentioned 3.9gb, you did not mention run time, you can user a higher bit rate, IF you are using the MAX allowed by DVD standard
    also Don't go from file to dvd directly
    create a DVD folder or ISO image file
    and view that on the PC before burning discs
    but as suggested above, you might need to switch to making Blu-ray discs
    or you might try closer in shots and using a little bit of panning
    i'm not there, i can't see the stage or your camera position
    Quote Quote