VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So, it isn't that old and it died
    I'm looking for a new printer.
    I've tried Epson, and HP

What are my choices? It wont be used just for DVD/CD printing. It will also be used for any color printing. I have a laserjet for B/W printing.

I know people have recommended Canon, but I don't know if their current models can be converted.
    I'm not looking to buy a used old model Canon.
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Searching eBay with "HP DVD printer" just now, I turned up a DJ5400-series for $249 and a D7560 (used) at a current bid of $24.99 with 2 days to go on the auction. Other searches may turn up more . . . and then there's Craigslist, etc.

I think it's worth tracking down an HP model: the media-handling system is far superior to any other brand's, in my opinion, and the print quality is first-class . . . but you know that already.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Epson Artisan 800 - Disc loading system is integrated, and refillable ink is available. I use JVC Photo Grade discs - hard to tell from the original except for the purple dye on the bottom. Previously used R280 - yes, the tray is better than previous R's, but not as nice as the Artisan's integrated one.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You can go to http://damnprinter.com (that is the really the name of it) to get up to date info on various Canon models. I've been using a Pixma ip4500 for some time now and I'm pretty happy with it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    You can go to http://damnprinter.com (that is the really the name of it) to get up to date info on various Canon models. I've been using a Pixma ip4500 for some time now and I'm pretty happy with it.
    For the latest models, I hate that confirmed by "3" or "2" YIKES
    I was hoping for at least few more people to confirm that you can do it LOL
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess Canon Canada worked out its patent dispute with Epson Canada, or Canadian laws aren't so restrictive, because now Canon printers that potentially have CD/DVD printing have that feature enabled out of the box here. I had to mod my Canon Pixma ip3000 back in the day, but the Canon MP640 I got about two years ago had CD/DVD printing already enabled, unlike on damnprinter.com where it says you have to modify it.

If a trip to Canada is in the cards for you, just last week I saw two or three Canon models with CD/DVD printing in the stores here. As well, the tray is included in the box, of course, so you don't have to hunt one down on eBay.
    Last edited by p_l; 17th Mar 2011 at 12:57.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stiltman View Post
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    For the latest models, I hate that confirmed by "3" or "2" YIKES
    I was hoping for at least few more people to confirm that you can do it LOL
    You may not be looking at this the right way. There may only be a few people who bothered to respond. Not really sure why you would think that it wouldn't work. The procedure to turn it on is pretty standard across models. It's not like this is some kind of hardware that only works on XP and you have to try to get it working under 64 bit Windows 7.
    Quote Quote  
  8. However, it does seem to be specific to certain models/hardware
    They have some MP series listed, but I have a MP560 that's not listed and it doesn't have the removable plastic piece
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member 1st class
    Search Comp PM
    I have the Epson R200, which has been superseded by several models now, and I am very happy with it. It was inexpensive and I have been able to run at least 6 sets of third party inks through it without problem. I have printed several photos on photo paper and that quality is excellent. The wonkiness of its disk handling is well documented on this forum but after 5 years I have just got used to it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just scored a second Canon Pixma ip3000 from Kijiji.ca , a kind of local online classified in Canada sort of like craigslist. Asking price was $80, and I got it for $60. As is often the case with craigslist-type sellers, communication is irregular, emails go unanswered, especially when dealing with teenagers, and after a month of flakiness, the seller ended up fobbing the actual job of selling off on her father, and then things proceeded forward.

I wanted them to print a nozzle check, of course, to make sure the printheads hadn't clogged up while the unit was put aside, waiting to be sold. That seemed to be beyond the owners' technical skills, so I asked if I could try it when I came over to look at it. At first, it looked pretty bad, and I thought I had wasted my time, but after putting the printer through a half-dozen cleaning cycles, it was fine.

I'm glad I got a backup ip3000, because I already have the CD/DVD tray and the incredibly cheap ink, and I did the tray mod as soon as I got it home and everything works hunky-dory.
    Last edited by p_l; 18th Mar 2011 at 23:50.
    Quote Quote