VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been trying for hours and days to encode and burn a DVD filled with anime episodes but when ever I play it on TV it always appears bad like for example there will be some shaking on the sides of the screen or some parts of an episode keeps cutting off.

So I heard of this DVD9 or DVD-R DL which they use to make DVD movies that we buy or rent in stores.

Just before I buy it I want to be sure that it can and should be able to play on my Samsung DVD player clearly(doesn't matter if it isn't perfect). I wouldn't want to waste my money for nothing
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your player should be able to play it.
    A double layer gives you 9.4 GB as opposed to 4.7.

However, burnable discs, either single or double layer, are NOT what is used to make retail DVDs, those are pressed, not burnt.
    You can't make those at home.

Also. problems you cite: "shaking on the sides of the screen or some parts of an episode keeps cutting off" really have nothing to do with the disc; there is a problem with the original file or the encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  3. or your lead is loose in the back of your Plasma, and excessive volume causes it to shake. Dual layer disks have been out for around 5 or 6 years and are a mature media. But only buy top quality discs and never fill them up completely <4.7gb for single layer <8.4gb for dual layer discs
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm interesting. Thanks for your replies.

I guess there really is something wrong with the encoder of my program because you see I used Womble EasyDVD and when it finishes encoding and burning it shakes on the upper and lower side of the screen when on TV.

Originally Posted by RabidDog View Post
    or your lead is loose in the back of your Plasma, and excessive volume causes it to shake. Dual layer disks have been out for around 5 or 6 years and are a mature media. But only buy top quality discs and never fill them up completely <4.7gb for single layer <8.4gb for dual layer discs
    I have used DVD Flick before instead. Got it to encode on "Best" and had no problems at all. Its probably Womble's fault.
    Last edited by Blueknight; 7th Feb 2011 at 21:15.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post

Also. problems you cite: "shaking on the sides of the screen or some parts of an episode keeps cutting off" really have nothing to do with the disc; there is a problem with the original file or the encoding.
    Well I am trying to put 13 episodes into the DVD. Each of them are 20 minutes long. So after it re-encodes them it compresses them.
    Quote Quote  
  6. 13 episodes of 20 minutes duration each make the total video 260 minutes long. Realistically, you can use only a bitrate of 2100 kbps to fit all of it in one single layer DVD (4.7 GB). Your decision to go for Dual Layer (9.4 GB) is good, because for the same length of video, you can use a bit rate of about 4000 kbps, which means it will improve the quality of your final output. Bear in mind that the quality that you started with (the quality of your source), the quality of encoding, and the bit rate used determines the final ouput quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Blueknight View Post

Well I am trying to put 13 episodes into the DVD. Each of them are 20 minutes long. So after it re-encodes them it compresses them.
    That shouldn't cause the problems you cited.

And it's much better to encode once to the final size rather than encode and recompress.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Just before I buy it I want to be sure that it can and should be able to play on my Samsung DVD player clearly(doesn't matter if it isn't perfect). I wouldn't want to waste my money for nothing
    There are no guarantees. I've seen older DVD players that refused to play DL media at all or only played the first layer. I know nothing about how old your player is, but if it was made in the past 2 or 3 years it SHOULD be OK. But Samsung makes very consumer unfriendly DVD and BluRay players so who knows without a test?

If you cannot buy Verbatim DVD+R DL discs to try, and you need to use the free ImgBurn program to burn them as other burning programs are NOT reliable with DL discs, you should not even try this. ONLY Verbatim makes reliable DL media and all other brands are junk.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The DL disks would allow you to use a higher bitrate but that does not appear to be the cause of your problem.

As mentioned, only encode once to the correct size and eliminate the shrink step. The DL disk would allow you to do this, but first I would save the files to the hard drive and test them.

IMO your error is something else besides file size and/or bitrate. Try the disk in the PC just for an extra test.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Is something different overseas ? I thought DL gave you 8.5G. Probably a bit more usable capacity in there -- think I've seen some encodes to DL folder structure in the 8.7 range, but can't recall seeing anything substantially more than that.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Is something different overseas ? I thought DL gave you 8.5G. Probably a bit more usable capacity in there -- think I've seen some encodes to DL folder structure in the 8.7 range, but can't recall seeing anything substantially more than that.
    You are correct. AlanHK made a mistake. I think the actual count is about 8.55G.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Yeah, sorry. I just doubled 4.7. Apparently there is some overhead.
    See https://www.videohelp.com/dvd
    DVD+R and DVD+RW
    DVD+R is a non-rewritable format and it is compatible with about 89% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
    DVD+RW is a rewritable format and is compatible with about 79% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
    DVD+R and DVD+RW supports single side 4.37 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double side 8.75 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nharikrishna View Post
    13 episodes of 20 minutes duration each make the total video 260 minutes long. Realistically, you can use only a bitrate of 2100 kbps to fit all of it in one single layer DVD (4.7 GB). Your decision to go for Dual Layer (9.4 GB) is good, because for the same length of video, you can use a bit rate of about 4000 kbps, which means it will improve the quality of your final output. Bear in mind that the quality that you started with (the quality of your source), the quality of encoding, and the bit rate used determines the final ouput quality.
    Interesting. Thank you. I think I'm gonna try and set the bitrate to 2100 kbps first and see if that will help solve my problem with the shaking on the screen before I but the Dual Layer ones.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting. Thank you. I think I'm gonna try and set the bitrate to 2100 kbps first and see if that will help solve my problem with the shaking on the screen before I but the Dual Layer ones.
    I often use low bitrates, and never see "shaking". You just get softer images and lack of detail.

There is something else wrong.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    my problem with the shaking on the screen
    I bet this is related to interlacing.

Read this: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/guides/video/capture-understand-sources.htm
    Understand your source, including interlacing.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the information. It could be the source I believe.

Just a question. Could the colour system of the DVD have caused this problem? The DVD that I burned is in NTSC you see. But I live in a PAL region. So maybe that was the problem.

The video also cuts or gets muted at some areas. Like for example where a person tries to talk but it gets cut or mutes.
    If the colour system is not the problem then it could be the program that I am using. I may need to find a better program than Womble EasyDVD.

I tried making another one before on DVDFlick and I never really experienced any of these problem at all.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Give AVStoDVD a try. Set it to 1/2 D1, and 4:3 aspect ratio. Make sure the project is setup to use HCenc 2-pass
    (at that low bitrate I think it chooses it automatically)

Don't set the bitrate manually, let the program choose it. One method to squeeze more bitrate for the video
    it to lower the bitrate of the audio.
    Quote Quote